First Sportive Ride

BLW
BLW Posts: 96
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Afternoon folks,

Entered my first Sportive Ride which is this Saturday, bit of a lastminute.com decision but I thought what the heck, it’s the Pock Pedal (East Yorks), I was umming and arrring as to which class to enter, it was either the midi (60 miles) or the mini (25 miles), certainly not the mega (can’t remember what that was to be fair off hand but it would be way out of my depth), I do about 18 miles twice a week (on both the MTB and the now the RB) but seen as it’s my first one as I’m a newbie to all this road biking and the fact that I’ve never been to a cycle event before) I thought it would be the most sensible thing to do, short and sweet but a nice taste to what it’s all about, plus I’m only just getting used to my new wheels as I only got it last weekend.

Is it ok for me to wear my trainers as opposed to buying a pair of cycling shoes?, I am going to get some in due course but I won’t have chance really before Saturday and I’d rather shop around and not rush into buying the first/cheapest pair I clap my eyes on, my trainers are comfortable and they don’t slip off the pedals, so both safety and comfort wise they tick the boxes (I removed the toe clips/cadge from my pedals) but will it be ‘frowned upon’ if I’m wearing trainers? or do a quite a few opt for trainers rather than cycling shoes? when just doing these sportive/leisure rides?

I will fit my seat bag on from my MTB (with tool kit/spare tyres/map etc) along with my drink bottle and a little snack but for 25 miles, I really don’t think I need anything else but then I wouldn’t really know, any useful tips or words of wisdom for a someone doing their first sportive ride?

Thank You :)

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Wear what you would normally wear for the distance, and enjoy it :D 25 miles may take you a couple of hours, sounds like you've given it plenty of thought
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    You may be frowned upon or sniggered at by some cycling snobs but I really wouldn't let that bother you.

25 miles is fine for a start - you could give it a good blast and see how quick you can do it :)
    As said above - wear what you normally wear - worse thing you can do before an event is make changes that could upset the whole thing - so changing to different clothes & shoes is a no-no - unless what you normally wear is also damm uncomfortable!

Take spares, drink & even a little snack - it's not a race (other than against yourself) - but don't go overboard - 25 miles - it should be enough for 1 drinks bottle & 1 emergency snack bar. Tools - a mini tool with chain break, 2 tubes, tyre levers (2), pump & puncture repair kit is what I usually have in a saddlebag anyway - I wouldn't change it for a single day sportive.

Last words of wisdom - enjoy it ... :) plus - you get 10 points for every roadie you overtake (even if they're repairing a puncture) and that increases to 100 points if they're in full Pro team kit. 1000 if they have the matching bike! ;)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Don't worry about being 'frowned upon', you will be fine with what you have. The main thing is to go at your own pace and enjoy taking part in the event.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've raced in trainers on my bike (at duathlons) and nobody sneered at me.
    After years of clipless - I found toeclips and straps to be almost as good !

Enjoy your day - I'm sure you'll storm the 25 miles.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Seems like you are making some good choices. Better to finish on a high and thirsting for more than dead on your feet and never again.

For what it's worth I did my first after a couple of days of cleated shoes. That was a BIG mistake!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Your currently doing 18 miles twice a week - so you are in some sort of shape - why not have a crack at the 60 miler, unless your blowing out of your arise after 18 miles. 25 doesn't seem much if a step up from what you are doing. Take it steady and take a bit of food and drink with you. It's only 4 hours riding.

Fine to wear trainers on your RB, you see people wearing and riding all sorts.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Slowbike wrote:
    You may be frowned upon or sniggered at by some cycling snobs but I really wouldn't let that bother you.

25 miles is fine for a start - you could give it a good blast and see how quick you can do it :)
    As said above - wear what you normally wear - worse thing you can do before an event is make changes that could upset the whole thing - so changing to different clothes & shoes is a no-no - unless what you normally wear is also damm uncomfortable!

Take spares, drink & even a little snack - it's not a race (other than against yourself) - but don't go overboard - 25 miles - it should be enough for 1 drinks bottle & 1 emergency snack bar. Tools - a mini tool with chain break, 2 tubes, tyre levers (2), pump & puncture repair kit is what I usually have in a saddlebag anyway - I wouldn't change it for a single day sportive.

Last words of wisdom - enjoy it ... :) plus - you get 10 points for every roadie you overtake (even if they're repairing a puncture) and that increases to 100 points if they're in full Pro team kit. 1000 if they have the matching bike! ;)

This sounds like a great way to liven up a Sportive :D
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Fat Cat wrote:
    This sounds like a great way to liven up a Sportive :D
    you get some really odd riders on sportives ... ;)

Last one I did with my brother there was a chap in full Team Sky kit with matching Dogma (he had hairy arms though) ... there was another guy with a mushroom on his handlebars - turned out to be a bluetooth speaker - apparently the noise that was emitting helped him keep pace up the hills ....

Having said we'd take it easy, my brother changed his mind and rode to get as far away from these two as possible ... 20mph into a F6 headwind for 6 miles with just 3 of us swapping the lead took a big toll on my legs ... but we didn't see the two oddballs again .. ;)
  • BLW
    So basically these sportive rides rides are like 'village of the dammed' but on bikes!

Great, I'll fit in nicely. :wink:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Honestly on a sportive nobody gives a crap about you or what you are wearing. Enjoy the course!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm a bike tart and snobby about bikes/kit (for me), but not a bike snob.

I think the whole concept of getting sneered at is a bit of a myth.
    As long as you are out doing your best and having fun I think most cyclists appreciate that and are supportive.

Be equally friendly of mind to people who do want to clip in or have GPS or any of 100 other things, as they are probably just doing their best and having fun too.

So how did the ride go?
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    It's a chance to enjoy yourself on your bike with like-minded cyclists.
    If a few are not like-minded and want to get snobbish then ignore them and ride how you want.

I would try the medium ride and see how it goes. But don't set off too fast in the first few miles as it will catch up with you later.

As regards less than usual cycling gear. My son and I did the King of the Pennines sportive last year and kept coming across someone wearing a baggy jumper, 3/4 length baggy trousers and Espadrills whilst riding a fixie. I overheard a couple of MAMILS in full pro team kit complaining about being passed by him on their matching carbon pro bikes. It quite amused me at the time, and was even better when we left them behind even though we probably didn't beat fixie rider.
  • BLW
    Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies btw, it helped just having your opinions though :)

Yes I thoroughly enjoyed it, the weather was perfect, the sun had got his hat on, there was no wind, the countryside around the surrounding villages of Pocklington/Stamford Bridge (North Yorks) was beautiful.

It was a little daunting turning up on your own I have to admit, lots of blokes in lycra talking about every bike component known to man lol but once I was out on the bike it didn't bother me as I'm used to riding on my own anyway, I would be nice to go to these events with someone or a group but I don't know anyone else that's in to it.

However there was plenty of friendly folk that said hello etc so that was nice.

I found it a bit too easy going, I wish now that I'd tried the midi which was the 60 but at the time I thought it may of been too much of a jump from 25 to a 60 (with me only doing an average of 18 -20 milers a week) but I could of very easily done it again (that route) but I'm also aware that the midi will have had more hill work in too, so perhaps it was a sensible choice to start, ideally a 40m would of been best.

I couldn't really ride at my usual pace in some places due to other cyclists in groups, so I stayed behind a few as I could not get passed at times, my fault, too much of a wuss to ask to pass, what do you say if you would like to pass if they are all across the road (this was on the quiet country lanes).

There was an ignorant crazy van driver that nearly took me out that was coming towards me (already passed few others in front) but was determined to drive me off the road into the verge *coughs*... ar*eh*le should have got his number plate.

The bike gave me a comfortable ride, probably due to the tweaks made the day before (seat height raised and a wee tilt down) oh and some padded cycling shorts, they were only cheapies but worked a dream! No aches or pains (only been on the bike 3 times) so another reason at the time if a 60m ride might of been a gamble.
    Although I think I may need a shorter stem, may need your advice on that as I'm unsure.

So yes, absolutely and utterly loved it, busy planning the next one.

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Glad you enjoyed it. I think Sportives are great in that you have the option to ride with others (i.e meet new people) or go it alone. I did a 50 miler on my own last year. I really enjoyed it as it got be to try some new roads.

In regards to how to get past people I simply ride up behind them and shout loudly but politely something like "coming through". Then when they move aside and you pass, smile and say thank you. I think people expect to be overtaken so as long as you are polite you will have no issues.

I adopt a similar strategy on regular bike rides when I encounter groups that are taking up most of the road.
  • markhewitt1978
    Yeah that's the good thing about them, you can ride up to and join and existing group and nobody thinks anything of it, same as you can then drop them or drop back if you want to ride on your own.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Sportives are a good way to up your game, making a challenge for yourself either going for a longer ride or trying to get that "silver" or "gold" time. I did a few last year but not so bothered about it now. I might do the odd local one if the distance/route is attractive, otherwise I prefer to make up my own route and hit the terrain I feel like on the day.

Don't be put off by others who think they are faster or better than you, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I'm not that fast especially up the hills, but I do have stamina so when it comes to distance I can just keep going (including up the hills) and make up my time there.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • markhewitt1978
    Unless you're at the very top of your game then there will always be someone on a sportive who is faster than you are. Indeed starting first and going around the entire course as the lead rider doesn't sound like fun to me.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,028
    There seems to be a lack of sportives in the north west or am I looking in the right place? CW seems to have loads dahhn sarf.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • markhewitt1978
    Same for the North of England in general (it's even worse in Scotland). There does seem a lot going on 'down south', which is to be expected because of the population density, but looking at the Wiggle / UK Cycling Events page the first event even close to the North East isn't until August!

Evans had one in Leeds in early March and one in Langholm in a couple of weeks which I'm going to miss :(
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Same for the North of England in general (it's even worse in Scotland). There does seem a lot going on 'down south', which is to be expected because of the population density, but looking at the Wiggle / UK Cycling Events page the first event even close to the North East isn't until August!

Evans had one in Leeds in early March and one in Langholm in a couple of weeks which I'm going to miss :(

The Wiggle tour of the peaks is in two weeks time, starting and finishing in Bakewell and taking in Winnats Pass, Cat and Fiddle and Holme Moss climbs (Holme moss is skipped on the 60 mile route).
  • markhewitt1978
    Bakewell ain't exactly local for me, but cheers :)
  • homers_double
    It matters not, think of the tarts!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • markhewitt1978
    Speak for yourself, I'm not allowed tarts any more :D
  • homers_double
    I try and sneak the odd tart in now and again when the mrs is out.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197

You need to look beyond Wiggle and Evans then as there's bloody loads every weekend!!

Pocklington pedal
    Nidderdale
    Scotton 100
    Acorn charity ride last weekend (Ripon)
    RTB sportive last weekend

Still to come, not limited to;

BTRS sportive this Saturday
    Etape du Dales
    Carter jonas pedalthon
    Le petit depart
    Etape Yorkshire
    Humber bridge sportive
    Wolds 123
    Three peaks classic
    White rose sportive
    Cyclin weekly Ripon revolution
    Velo29 sportive
    Selby 3 swans
  • markhewitt1978
    Aye I've been looking at the British Cycling site to get a better idea. As often happens there's three on this weekend that I could do, but nowt much after that. But that's ok as I don't want to do more than one a month really.