Tyres

jimbod75
jimbod75 Posts: 55
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello all,

Can you good people recommend some tyres, currently got some 23mm continental ultrasport which despite being a good price have been a nightmare due to the number of punctures I have had in the last 3 months. Looking to spend £20-£30 per tyre and am considering some Schwalbe Ultremo ZXs or some Vittoria Rubio pros.

Thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • jimbod75
    Thanks Arran

These look good especially the TPI, will give these serious consideration :D
  • +1 for the Vittorias
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mattmaximus
    mattmaximus Posts: 132
    There's a very good reason why so many people ride gp4000s.

If you want the ride that comes with the high tpi then consider veloflex masters. Good price at ribble at the moment. They're unlikely to improve your puncture issues however.

Don't overthink it, whatever you get at that money will be better than those ultrasport, the sooner you upgrade the better! Oh, and 25c is the way forward, if you've got the clearance.
  • mattmaximus
    PS why not treat yourself to some latex inner tubes while you're at it? Not sure there's much science behind it but they seem to help prevent punctures. Worth it for the ride quality, anyway.
  • jimbod75
    Latex inner tubes?! Haven't considered them so thanks again
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    PS why not treat yourself to some latex inner tubes while you're at it? Not sure there's much science behind it but they seem to help prevent punctures. Worth it for the ride quality, anyway.

They don't prevent punctures. Save your money.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    The brand snobs might not like it, but I switched from Ultremo ZX's to Giant SLR-1's .

Found handling, grip, feel, etc. to be the same. However, the latter has been much better for not cutting up that quickly and so far, touch wood, no punctures.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Grill wrote:

Plus they're more of a pain in the ass to fit, as above, don't bother :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mattmaximus
    arran77 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Plus they're more of a pain in the ass to fit, as above, don't bother :wink:

Well, each to his own.

What exactly do you find so difficult? I consider myself technically inept in many ways, but I've never had any trouble fitting a latex tube. If anything, the slippery latex seems to reduce the chance of a pinch flat. I'll accept that in a hurry, butyl is easier, that's why I carry a butyl tube as a spare.

Vittorias are a princely £9 at Halfords. I've always used Michelin. Well worth the few pounds difference, IMHO. Mind you, their website also states 'great protection against punctures'; i'm not sure i'm comfortable agreeing with halfords.

To the OP, do a search on here and you'll find loads of opinions about inner tubes. It's not the be all and end all, though, don't let it stop you from getting the tyres.