1 ride or 2?

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited May 2014 in Road general
planned a route to my grandads which is 37 miles each way.

so would that equate to a 74 mile ride? or two 37 mile rides beacuse i will be stopping and having tea and cake?

Comments

• WarlKicken
    WarlKicken Posts: 224
    planned a route to my grandads which is 37 miles each way.

so would that equate to a 74 mile ride? or two 37 mile rides beacuse i will be stopping and having tea and cake?

If it's back to back definitely one ride pal! Having a pit-stop is a necessity! Pah. If you were riding in the morning then going again in the afternoon, I'd say that's two rides. Little stop off to refuel, that's one ride ;^)
  • Awesomes, need to find 6miles and I hit my 80
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    That depends how long the pit stop is :wink:

Generally people would count it as one ride- if you're doing more than 40-50 miles you tend to stop somewhere unless you're either really good or want to finish quickly.
    I would certainly count a ride with a tea stop in the middle as a single ride!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Depends if you reset your Garmin half way or not ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    if you're doing more than 40-50 miles you tend to stop somewhere unless you're either really good or want to finish quickly.

really? i'm neither very good nor in a hurry to finish and i only usually stop if i need to pee!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • drlodge
    Chris Bass wrote:
    if you're doing more than 40-50 miles you tend to stop somewhere unless you're either really good or want to finish quickly.

really? i'm neither very good nor in a hurry to finish and i only usually stop if i need to pee!!

I thought the whole point of a bike ride is the mid-way coffee and cake stop.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    drlodge wrote:

Absolutely not!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    D O G wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Absolutely!

FTFY.

Anyway, what difference does it make? All you're doing is manipulating your averages by pretending either way probably for some bragging rights.

A/ It was one big ride. B/ I manned up and went out TWICE in one day.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    What you've described to me sounds like two rides with something non-cycling taking place in the middle - no different to commuting to work.

People stop though for natural breaks, mechanical issues, traffic and traffic lights. These stops only tend to take a very short amount of time so I would consider them not breaking a ride. Popping into a shop to replenish supplies would fall under the same category (although I've never done that).

If you're going to a coffee shop or into someone's house then this break is likely going to have a huge impact on your performance as you are resting and taking on lots of calories. Technically therefore this to me is two rides with an activity in between.
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    This is for the Gran Fondo Challenge, isn't it?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Deffo two rides. It's a bike ride followed by a completely separate activity followed by another bike ride, not a bike ride with a quick stop in it somewhere.
  • It is if I do the 80! But also to build distance for ride 100
  • drlodge
    OK to be technical...it depends.

It depends on the purpose of the ride.

If the purpose of the ride is to cycle to your Grandad's and back then its one ride.

If the purpose of the ride is to see/visit your Grandad, then its two rides (like the commuting example).
    Find me on Strava
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    edited April 2014
    It's one ride until your back at home, sitting on your sofa. :)

I sometimes do all day rides in the summer from eight in the morning to eight at night. I'll get off the bike multiple times. Sometimes to grab a coffee, pop in to a shop or to eat an ice cream. Or just sit on a bench for a while and watch the world go by and enjoy the sunshine while i regain sensation in my fingers and bum. Could easily add up to two hours of the ride time. Does that mean i did ten rides or one?

To my mind it makes no difference. If you do it in one day and at the end returned to where you live it's classed as one ride. Especially if the time off the bike isn't greater than the time on the bike.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Try telling an Audax'er that they havent technically done a 200K ride because they stopped for cake... You might get thumped!

I think if the riding is done in order to get to/from an event then this is two rides (although if its a really short event you could argue an exception).
    If the event is reasonably short and just an extended rest/refreshment break then it is one ride.

Its all about duration and whether the reason you are going out is for the event or the ride.
  • Purpose of the ride is to ride, a end a route ages ago and have a week off so thought it would be ideal to do that and see my grandad!
  • drlodge
    Purpose of the ride is to ride, a end a route ages ago and have a week off so thought it would be ideal to do that and see my grandad!

Its one ride then. Years ago I did a 110 mile ride from Leicester via my Dad's in Milton Keynes and back...that was one ride for sure. I stopped off for some food but the purpose was the ride, not to see him.
    Find me on Strava
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    BrandonA wrote:
    What you've described to me sounds like two rides with something non-cycling taking place in the middle - no different to commuting to work.

People stop though for natural breaks, mechanical issues, traffic and traffic lights. These stops only tend to take a very short amount of time so I would consider them not breaking a ride. Popping into a shop to replenish supplies would fall under the same category (although I've never done that).

If you're going to a coffee shop or into someone's house then this break is likely going to have a huge impact on your performance as you are resting and taking on lots of calories. Technically therefore this to me is two rides with an activity in between.

There is a difference to commuting to work. If I go for a long ride and have a cake stop, then I might be cycling for 8 hours and stopped for an hour or two. If I commute I might be cycling for one or two hours and stopped for 8. That's a very different thing.

Ultimately, it isn't worth getting into a fluff about. Yes, you do take on calories in a cake stop but then if you don't stop you are probably taking on calories whilst riding as well (unless, like me you are an idiot who forgets to eat on 100 mile rides). Maybe the people who don't stop are cheating because they are eating on the move!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • WarlKicken
    This is absolutely absurd and some of the comments above are the reason cycling is full of some pretentious wombats. A coffee stop on A RIDE does not constitute having a break long enough to mean the second half is a whole new ride.

Is every football match two games based on the teams having a fifteen minute lunch break to rest and take on calories? When reading about pro teams training, A training RIDE usually involves stopping for coffee.

SO, in short to all those utter twaddle pushers wasting this poor chap's, who just wants to see his grandad and have a coffee, time. Go suck a lemon and make sure every traffic light, mechanical, banana stop is knocked up as one ride followed by the next. Fools.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Perhaps Sportives should start charging us for 3 rides if they put 2 feed stations in?
  • WarlKicken
    apreading wrote:
    Perhaps Sportives should start charging us for 3 rides if they put 2 feed stations in?

Money to be made!!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited April 2014
    WarlKicken wrote:
    This is absolutely absurd and some of the comments above are the reason cycling is full of some pretentious wombats. A coffee stop on A RIDE does not constitute having a break long enough to mean the second half is a whole new ride.

Is every football match two games based on the teams having a fifteen minute lunch break to rest and take on calories? When reading about pro teams training, A training RIDE usually involves stopping for coffee.

SO, in short to all those utter twaddle pushers wasting this poor chap's, who just wants to see his grandad and have a coffee, time. Go suck a lemon and make sure every traffic light, mechanical, banana stop is knocked up as one ride followed by the next. Fools.
    And breathe. Now relax. :lol:

If you go out for a ride and stop en route to refuel or rest or just take a bit of a break, that's a ride no matter how many times you stop.

If you ride somewhere to then do something entirely separate then ride back (or onwards even, who knows?), one ride has ended and another one starts after the intermediate activity has finished. Might be a day at work, threatening ducks in the park or something else. That's my criteria, and I'm sticking to it.
  • drlodge
    Think I'm going to do the Ride London-Surrey 25 about 4 times...
    Find me on Strava
  • WarlKicken
    CiB wrote:
    WarlKicken wrote:

And breathe. Now relax. :lol:

If you go out for a ride and stop en route to refuel or rest or just take a bit of a break, that's a ride no matter how many times you stop.

If you ride somewhere to then do something entirely separate then ride back (or onwards even, who knows?), one ride has ended and another one starts after the intermediate activity has finished. Might be a day at work, threatening ducks in the park or something else. That's my criteria, and I'm sticking to it.

Breathing. Breathing. Hahaha :)
  • WarlKicken
    drlodge wrote:
    Think I'm going to do the Ride London-Surrey 25 about 4 times...

This made me laugh. Good effort
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    WarlKicken wrote:

Hafuc**ngha!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i class it as two rides if i get out of my cycling gear in between the two, or at least think i probably should have!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    It's one ride. But obviously not as good as a ride the same distance where you don't stop...
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I'm not sure the OP is that bothered, but he knew the question would provoke strong reactions on both sides.
  • fatsmoker wrote:
    I'm not sure the OP is that bothered, but he knew the question would provoke strong reactions on both sides.

Not true, if it's two rides of forty miles that's different to one of 80 hence the reason for asking, however I was unaware it would provoke this response