Alu Full Suss or Carbon Hardtail

Red.Devil.Ghost
Red.Devil.Ghost Posts: 185
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Back in 2011, I bought a Ghost AMR 5900 at a great price. It's a good bike and the spec for the money is brilliant I think (I got it for a little over half the RRP, at £1150. The bike is a lot better than I am, but I'm not sure I quite feel comfortable on it. It's hard to explain really. I certainly don't feel like I can really throw it about, but I think that's more because I am rubbish rather than the bike.

I've been giving a lot of thought to building myself a bike recently. I'm fairly technical minded, far from an expert but I do learn things quickly and I would take my time and do it properly. I'm tempted to sell the Ghost and build myself a nice HT bike, possibly with a Carbon frame. I want to start cycling to work again as well, but don't really want to buy a road bike. A lightweight HT would be a bit quicker than a full sussed for that, and still perfectly capable off road. I haven't done any really challenging off road for a while, and its probably nothing I couldn't do on a HT. The other option is strip the bits off the Ghost and sell the frame with the rear shock. But then I think I might regret it later on - the bike was a bargain and it seems silly to get rid. I can't afford two bikes either.

What are people's thoughts? A 5900 recently old on ebay, complete, for 700. If I could find a cheap full suss carbon frame, I think I would just transfer everything across! I can't make up my mind.

Comments

• Ah I wondered where it went. Apologies for putting in the wrong section - I forgot there was a buying advice section.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    There are lots of lovely steel Hard tails about.

Although it has the wrong size wheels, the Charge Cooker 3 is a nice ride.