First Purchase (New Rider)

jakeraven
jakeraven Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

I'm brand new to mountain biking (have experience Road Cycling) and I have a decent cardio base.

I'm looking at buying my first bike this weekend, and would like to know what everybodies opinion is on the 'Calibre Two Two', since this is the bike I want to buy :

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two ... ke-p275612

Every review I've read seems to suggest this bike is the perfect entry level bike and comes equipped fairly decently.

I'd be looking at doing a few mountains, trails and dirt lanes around my area (North Wales).

Any information before I make my purchase would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have experience with this bike.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• midgehulluk
    midgehulluk Posts: 195
    Go for it,its a well specced bike for the money, if i was starting out again this would be one of my choices. ive heard a few forum members on here and other sites rave about them after they have purchased the bike, just get the right size bike for you which ever bike you buy.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A very good choice for a starting bike. My first bike didn't have disc brakes or any suspension but I loved every minute of it :)
  • Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be taking a trip down to the GoOutdoor shop tomorrow then to view the bike and see how I feel (although I'm 99% sure that this is the bike I want).

I'm 6ft 1, and weigh 190lb. I went to halfords to have a little test ride on the various size mountain bikes, and I felt comfortable on the 20" mountain bikes. The bloke there said that when I'm riding that I'll want to adjust the saddle so that I am just a little of flat footed when the peddles are at the very lowest point - can anyone confirm this?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pretty much - heel at lowest point with a straight leg, or ball of foot with leg slightly flexed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Awesome, thanks guys! When I'm a bit more experienced I'm sure I'll be back!