Freebies thrown in when buying a bike?

South Tyne Rider
South Tyne Rider Posts: 76
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello guys

I know this sounds a bit tacky, but I've never spent as much as £1150 on a bike before....

I work in retail management and I hate it when people ask for a cheeky discount here and there, but what does everyone think? If you were to spend £1150 on a bike, would you expect a lock or speedometer thrown in? :wink:

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    For that much money I'd expect more than a speedo :wink:

A shop local to me would give you enough points to get a whole load of accessories....

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Thanks mate - what percentage of the total would you expect in freebies? Just out of interest? If the bike was £1150, how much would you expect? £100's worth?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    At the shop I gave a link for it would work out a lot more than £100.

For a bike costing about £1,100 you'd get about 21 points, the link below is the selection of stuff you can choose from....

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/podium_points.php
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would expect at least 10% of bikes value in accessories if I were paying list price for it.
    If it was already discounted or I was getting interest free credit then thats a different story.

I say expect only because I have never paid list price for a bike without a sweetener (unless financed) so would feel reluctant to do it.
    If it was a nice enough bike I would though I guess.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Carbonator wrote:
    I would expect at least 10% of bikes value in accessories if I were paying list price for it.
    If it was already discounted or I was getting interest free credit then thats a different story.

I say expect only because I have never paid list price for a bike without a sweetener (unless financed) so would feel reluctant to do it.
    If it was a nice enough bike I would though I guess.

This is about what you should expect. If the sale price is due to a manufacturers rather than just the bike shop's discount then expect the 10% of stuff as well as the reduced sale price.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    When I worked in the trade we'd give 10% of the value of the bike in accessories if asked for a discount - from a shop cost point of view it, it's about half the cost of taking it off the price i.e. £100 of accessories only cost the shop £50 whereas knocking £100-off the bike price takes £100 out the turnover.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Good news guys - I slapped down the deposit on the Roubaix today after much deliberation. The lad in the shop said he would chuck in approx £100 worth of accessories, which is what swung it in the end. I need to choose wisely as to what £100 is going to consist of!
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Bottle cages, bottles, saddle bag maybe, multitool, lights if commuting etc
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Nice one! I'm getting free bottle cages with my new bike but that's because cyclescheme take 10% as a fee so asking for more seems a little too cheeky. Having said that, getting anything out of the bloke was an achievement!