Rapha Manchester

Mike__
Mike__ Posts: 18
edited October 2014 in Road general
Does anyone know if/when this new Rapha store is opening in Manchester? I'm sure i read it in a few places at the start of the year that one was opening, but not heard much else since. I'm after some new stuff for Summer and would be good to go to an actual store rather than doing it online and spending ages working out which size/colour to order!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    For the cost of the rapha cap - you could get a cheap day return to London and try the kit on in their shop/cafe ?

Its nice stuff but its just kit - its not magical.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    What? After a Michelin starred restaurant, Manchester is going to have a Rapha outlet? What next?
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I thought it was 'just' a café? You could go to The Bike Rooms on Deansgate and look at the sale stuff downstairs. Lots of Assos and high end Giordana prob. cheaper than Rapha plus some stunning Pinarellos to ogle
    M.Rushton
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Here we go again...
  • cougie
    Rapha Cycle Club in London is both a cafe and a shop. You'd be mad to just sell coffee and cake and ignore the kit selling options.
  • Spoke with someone at the Rapha festival at the weekend. Definitely 8/8/2014 :-)
  • Rapha schmafa - boring
  • now open!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Any good?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Any good?
    Yes.

Was unfortunately unable to make the opening night so passed my invite along. But have been since and it's what you expect from all the Rapha Cycle Clubs - true awesomeness :)
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Are the pink overshoes de rigeur there? had to pass on my invite but the wife is going on Sunday
    M.Rushton
  • cougie
    I've been to the one in London - nice coffee. Nice cake. Nice TV to watch the cycling on - but I don't think I'd say it was truly awesome. Truly amazing prices for kit obv.. I love that kitbag - but just not the price.
  • cougie
    I've been to the one in London - nice coffee. Nice cake. Nice TV to watch the cycling on - but I don't think I'd say it was truly awesome. Truly amazing prices for kit obv.. I love that kitbag - but just not the price.
  • Rapha schmafa - boring

A+ contribution - would seek your opinion again and again.
  • Went to the one in London for the first time today...not impressed. Took 10 mins to make a luke warm cappuccino, served by supercilious beardy tw@t who clearly would have been happier posing for one of those b&w Rapha ads, and costing £3. Polished concrete floor is absolutely lethal in cleats. Wasn't inclined to do any shopping after that. LMNH is infinitely preferable.
  • Went on Friday, wasn't that impressed if I'm honest. The clothing area is so long and narrow, I couldn't look at anything without having to step out of the way every 30 seconds because somebody wanted to get past. Felt pretty dark and dreary too. Will probably go back in a couple of weeks for another look, but the first impression of the place was a bit 'meh'.
  • I went couple weeks back. Best coffee I've had in quite a while (took couple of mins to make which was fine as I was seated and watching some race) and fantastic bit of cake. The shop is a funny shape but has everything and...er you can buy things.

Can't say fairer than that!

LMNH is a good place to go, also good food and coffee and also London prices in what might surprise you...is London ;)
  • epo.wks
    epo.wks Posts: 47
    tomisitt wrote:
    Went to the one in London for the first time today...not impressed. Took 10 mins to make a luke warm cappuccino, served by supercilious beardy tw@t who clearly would have been happier posing for one of those b&w Rapha ads, and costing £3. Polished concrete floor is absolutely lethal in cleats. Wasn't inclined to do any shopping after that. LMNH is infinitely preferable.

Isn't £3 for a coffee the standard London price though?
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    It's on the high side, even for Lomdon. The cost is less of a problem than the attitude, tbh
  • cougie
    tomisitt wrote:
    Polished concrete floor is absolutely lethal in cleats.

Why would they do that ?? Eedjits.
  • epo.wks
    epo.wks Posts: 47
    tomisitt wrote:
    It's on the high side, even for Lomdon. The cost is less of a problem than the attitude, tbh

Please, tell me where you drink coffee because if I can make a saving here then that would be great! :lol:
  • tomisitt wrote:

Were you really, really that offended by him? Or his beard? My attitude is unless a shop assistant is activley rude then I couldn't care less. I've worked in retail in a former life and it's crap full stop. Bad pay, long hours on your feet, boring, zero benefits.

He didnt go out of his way to smile at me but he did his job (make and serve coffee and cake) and he did it well, I couldn't care less about a lack of smile (LMNH do smile though ;) )

The shop assistant (for the clothes) was smiley and friendly though, so it evened out.

As for the £3 for the coffee then no, that not starbucks price but in my experience its about right for a proper coffee in an independant shop...and it was worth it in comparision ;)
  • tomisitt wrote:
    Polished concrete floor is absolutely lethal in cleats.

Did you die?
  • If you're paying £3 for a basic coffee you need your head checked, Rapha froth on top or not......
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    No, fortunately I was wearing my Team Sky Kask Infinity Aero helmet and my Transfer Wallet broke my fall.

I only went in to pick up some Rapha Classics Beard-Wash :(
  • If you're paying £3 for a basic coffee you need your head checked, Rapha froth on top or not......

It's not instant coffee if that's what you're thinking. Some people like their coffee and earn enough to not give a f**k about a couple of quid once every few weeks. I'm not one of them, but instant or cheap coffee is horrible and a far bigger waste to me than a really good one, which this was. I'm sure you can find better and cheaper coffee somewhere in the most expensive peice of real estate on the planet, and in which case let us know.

By the way, do you also moan at cars that cost more than 5k? houses that cost more than 50k? jeans that cost more than £8? etc etc and so on?

It's not instant coffee if that's what you're thinking. Some people like their coffee and earn enough to not give a f**k about a couple of quid once every few weeks. I'm not one of them, but instant or cheap coffee is horrible and a far bigger waste to me than a really good one, which this was. I'm sure you can find better and cheaper coffee somewhere in the most expensive peice of real estate on the planet, and in which case let us know.

By the way, do you also moan at cars that cost more than 5k? houses that cost more than 50k? jeans that cost more than £8? etc etc and so on?

Chill out dude, £3 is just a lot of wedge for some ground beans in hot water.

I ride Lightweight wheels, which aren't cheap, but at least you can see where the money's gone.

Could I also point out that my house is worth somewhat more then 50k, but that I refuse to pay more than £50 for jeans? (Unless my wife forces me to....)

Chill out dude, £3 is just a lot of wedge for some ground beans in hot water.

I ride Lightweight wheels, which aren't cheap, but at least you can see where the money's gone.

ok fair play, consider me chilled out (I am most of the time anyway, except when I'm skivving on tinternet at work ;) )
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Got to agree with Cookeee, £3 isn't a lot for a hot drink out and about. Besides, unless you really liked the ambience of the place and intend to go regularly then it was a one off to check the place out.

My LBS sells coffee and Rapha and it's less than a £1 cheaper so the change ends up in the tips cup so it all ends up even.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.