Very trusting bloke

themekon
themekon Posts: 197
edited May 2014 in Road general
On holibobs in Somerset, sitting outside a cafe in Glastonbury. Chap rides up on a Cervello fuly kitted out, nop noch groupset and Zip wheels. Only leaves it outside leaning up against a post, not locked.Goes inside the cafe to eat.
I know that if I left any bike unlocked in my local town centre it would last about a minute before it went.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    How is the new ride then? Or did it not fit?
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    Too big :D
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I live about 14 miles from Glastonbury and I can assure you 99% of the folk in Glastonbury have no idea what a bike is or what day of the week it is :lol:
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    themekon wrote:
    On holibobs in Somerset, sitting outside a cafe in Glastonbury. Chap rides up on a Cervello fuly kitted out, nop noch groupset and Zip wheels. Only leaves it outside leaning up against a post, not locked.Goes inside the cafe to eat.
    I know that if I left any bike unlocked in my local town centre it would last about a minute before it went.

he was probably loaded - bike would be the equivalent to one of us leaving a chocolate bar outside.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    He probably wants the excuse to buy a new ride. You'd actually have been doing him a favour if you nicked it ;-)

The other possibility is that some people just have faith in the human race!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    themekon wrote:

he was probably loaded - bike would be the equivalent to one of us leaving a chocolate bar outside.

Or even a chocolate hobinob.
  • twist83 wrote:
    I live about 14 miles from Glastonbury and I can assure you 99% of the folk in Glastonbury have no idea what a bike is or what day of the week it is :lol:

Fingers are webbed together also, they'll never be able to change gear
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    ere im from somerset and i don't have webbed hands :lol:
    and i defo wouldn't leave a cervello outside unlocked
  • rob21 wrote:

If it's a fake then nobody would nick it anyway :D
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    rob21 wrote:

If it's a fake then nobody would nick it anyway :D
    i would im from somerset :lol:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I quite often do that when visiting my favourite cake stops. You would have to be bonkers to nick a bike outside of a cafe in a public place. And not knowing if there is CCTV around. I can see it from the window and would move like a whippet if necessary. If you leave it in top gear no one is going to be able to ride it away in a hurry.
  • Chunky101
    Chunky101 Posts: 108
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I quite often do that when visiting my favourite cake stops. You would have to be bonkers to nick a bike outside of a cafe in a public place. And not knowing if there is CCTV around. I can see it from the window and would move like a whippet if necessary. If you leave it in top gear no one is going to be able to ride it away in a hurry.

Bet they could pick it up and sling it in the back of a van before you put down your Vanila latte ;)
  • Chunky101 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Bet they could pick it up and sling it in the back of a van before you put down your Vanila latte ;)

Yeah, ever tried sprinting in cleated shoes?!
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Chunky101 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Yeah, ever tried sprinting in cleated shoes?!
    ^ This!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Recessed cleats here... And I can still do 400 in 1.15 at 62!
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    If you leave it in top gear no one is going to be able to ride it away in a hurry.

Take the chain off.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Mikey23 wrote:

most bike theft is opportunist, so considerations about how bonkers it might seem, or if theres CCTV around probably dont come into it, so that isnt a reliable risk register.

I keep thinking about how that bike was stolen from Ride London last year, the thief is reasonably dressed as a cyclist, just wanders into the bike park and picks up a bike and rides off, theres thousands of people around, hundreds taking photos, plenty of witnesses who could id him and yet the only person that noticed anything amiss was the poor bloke who came back to find his bike had been nicked. why is it going to be any different outside a coffee shop, fine if the guy is built like the hulk and is getting on a tiny framed pink bike, you might spot theres an issue, standard sized guy or gal getting on a standard size bike you are never going to know if it was their bike or not.

guy in our office had his bike nicked the other month after he'd left it unlocked in the buildings bike sheds,as he thought it would be ok because theres cctv, security, no public access, and yet someone took it.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    And the vast majority of CCTV is of such poor quality it could be your next door neighbour stealing your bike and you wouldn't recognise them...

:cry:
  • mattbabs
    mattbabs Posts: 86
    In Yorkshire there have been reports of vans turning up outside cafés and taking several bikes at a time. I stopped for a coffee this morning at a cafe in Horsforth, near Leeds and the owner told me he has a supply of locks for customers to borrow.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    mattbabs wrote:
    In Yorkshire there have been reports of vans turning up outside cafés and taking several bikes at a time. I stopped for a coffee this morning at a cafe in Horsforth, near Leeds and the owner told me he has a supply of locks for customers to borrow.
    That'll be one of the downsides of all the TdF attention I guess... :?