Commuting, with power

2»

Comments

• I do think that over time, there will be better research in how exactly to use left/right power data to increase cycling fitness, but even once those recommendations are made – the ‘estimation’ factor of the current Power2Max implementation would likely mean that they wouldn’t be realistic to utilize it in a left/right setting due to the lack of accuracy in the estimation method (assumption of no residual power). In fact, even Power2Max themselves says there’s little value in it other than from a marketing standpoint

From DC Rainmaker review of P2M. It measures power at the cranks and determines L2R balance just by dividing the crank rotation into two 180deg halves and assumes the torque from one half comes from one leg and the torque from the other half from the other leg. Even if you were sprinting, you couldn't be sure that the power imbalance is actually correct. A perceived lack of power from the left leg (measured on left's downstroke) might actually be caused by the right leg not lifting well on the upstroke.

When it comes down to it, I think the choice is better made just by looking at your personal circumstances: number of bikes, types of crank/chainring etc.

It doesnt measure real L/R
    But it does measure power downstream of the crank arms.

PS - I know of a Vector user in my brothers club who had a 43/57 pedal balance according to the L/R measurement.
    Whether he uses that for anything or not is his decision.