Trailer on a train

bbug
bbug Posts: 83
edited April 2014 in MTB general
Hi all.

I'll be riding C2C next week, travelling up and back by train from Chester and Newcastle and camping along the way. My plan was to use my Cargolite one-wheel trailer to carry my stuff, but now I find that none of the train companies that I have to use will take trailers.

Now I'm thinking, if I take the bag out of the trailer and carry it as a rucksack, take the wheel off and carry the dismantled trailer as luggage, I might get away with it.

Has anyone done this already please? Or does anyone have an alternative plan?

Thanks
Lu

Comments

• It depends on how long you plan to take.

Can you strap the tent to the frame and carry the rest of your kit in a backpack?
    Or forget about food/cooking and buy stuff on the way and eat in pubs/cafes along the way?

Alternatively, use a bivvy bag/survival bag combo and forget about the tent altogether! I've done it a couple of times in the New Forest. You can set up shop where you are.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • bbug
    bbug Posts: 83
    Thanks @LTL,

I've had a practice dissassemble of my trailer. All I need is a 10mm spanner. The trailer folds flat and the wheel comes off, so it should'nt be a problem getting it small enough. The bag that fits into it has shoulder straps for carrying.

I'm aiming for 4 days. I am taking a hammock and tarp to sleep in/under and I'm going to try to wild camp. Partly to save some money but mainly because I fancy a little adventure before it's too late. (I'm past retirement age). That, and I'm not sure how far I'll get each day, so can't book ahead.

I had a little shakedown run last week to see how it feels dragging all my stuff. I was surprised how slow I was cycling on the flat with all that weight behind. Around 7mph only. Cycled 42 miles from home to Bala Lake, hammocked on the lake shore, then pedalled home again next day. Something like 6000 ft of climbing over the two days. It was hard work and took me 7 hours each way. I'm hoping that's comparable to the climbs I'll face on the C2C.

Learned a few lessons. Forgot washing stuff for me and dishes. Forgot matches. Need lighter stuff. Need better-rolling tyres. Need to take less stuff.

Lu
  • Just take the basics for the nights. There are plenty of villages and cafes/pubs on the route to restock and refuel.
    There are a couple of nasty climbs on there, so 4 days should be plenty enough - I normally do it in 3 but only ride from 9 until 2ish, but have done it in 2 (never again though).

Oh! And good luck - I hope the weather holds up for you. It gets a bit chilly on the top of the Pennines.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)