Thoughts on a Trek 5500 OCLV

Toror
Toror Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,

I'm new here as I'm just getting into cycling. I was looking around for a first bike and stumbled across the following one for 450GBP (or 800CHF in Switzerland where I currently live). With my limited knowledge I think it is an ok offer, but I wanted to see if anyone with a bit more experience could help me out !

The specifications I have:

Trek 5500 OCLV
Full Shimano Dura-ace 9 speed
Chainrings: 53/39
Wheels: Mavic
Tire: Michelin Pro3
Saddle: Italia Gel Flow
Pedals: Look

Oh and here is a picture: http://www.anibis.ch/uploads/006/726/23 ... svCw_2.jpg

And if you just have some general advice for my search for a first bike, I'll gladly take it :D
For example, if there is anything I should particularly pay attention to when buying a used bike ?

Tony

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The frame an fork are excellent. Persoanlly I would strip it down sell of all the bits and put a modern groupset on. Either way you have stiff frame that is great to ride. Buy it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Not much wrong with DA 9 speed to be honest. Good shifting and I'm not convinced that a 10/11 speed groupset would offer significant benefit to the OP. Soembody would still pay good money for the groupset assuming that it was in VGC.
  • Toror
    Thanks for the quick replies and good advice.

I'll definitely buy the bike. As this is my first bike I will probably just use it as it is now for this summer and see how it goes. Maybe I can sell some bits and replace them next year if I feel that something needs to be upgraded.

Just have to hope that the frame and fork are still in good condition when I go see the bike for myself !

Thanks again !
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Make sure the bike fits you OK though- it's great to grab a bargain, but if the bike doesn't fit and makes it uncomfortable/ damaging to ride, it's not much use!
    Good luck!

EDIT: You won't find a finer bottom bracket than the Dura Ace 7700- if you remember to clean and adjust them occasionally they'll run silky smooth for ever! The self extracting cranks are a clever idea as well :)
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    It is an old bike now so it is not a bargain if the components and wheels are shot!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Nothing wrong with DA 9 speed if it is working perfectly (I have DA 8 speed on one bike and love it) but I tend to assume any bike I buy whole is for the frame and the seller does not know the full condition of the parts that way I am not disapointed. I have bought shifters as spares before that turn out to work fine and have bought parts that are menat to be fine that turn out to be scrap. Second hand parts are a lottery unless you see them first.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Toror
    Thank you for your replies !

Frame size is 58cm and I'm 6'1'' and inside leg is bearly 35''. Maybe a 60cm frame would have been even better but from what I have read 58cm seems to be good as well. But any advice is welcome !

I'll remember to clean that bottom bracket every now and again !

The age of the bike was my main worry, I'll make sure to check if there is already visible damage to the components and wheels.