Traveling with a helmet

BigLights
BigLights Posts: 464
edited April 2014 in Road general
Hello,

If one is flying without the bike, but with a helmet (there's a bike waiting at the other end), what's the best way? ie, it's fine to pack it in the hold in a suitcase, if packed well with clothes etc, right?

Or do you reckon one needs to lug it about in hand luggage.

Comments

• Wear it on your head
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    I've always put mine into my hand luggage, along with all the things I'd need to hire a bike and ride if my luggage and bike didn't make it (shoes, pedals saddle). If you're not worried about that, I'd think it'd be fine in a suitcase surrounded by clothes.
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    pirnie wrote:
    I've always put mine into my hand luggage, along with all the things I'd need to hire a bike and ride if my luggage and bike didn't make it (shoes, pedals saddle). If you're not worried about that, I'd think it'd be fine in a suitcase surrounded by clothes.

Put it in your checked luggage, surrounded by clothes, if they lose your case then the airline/insurance is paying for you to buy a new set of kit and most decent bike hire places will stock a good range of cycling clothes.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,919
    Happy to pack a ski helmet in the hold luggage, so see no reason why you wouldn't do the same for a bike helmet.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Im with Sloppy on this one....Wear it....its all the rage you know !!
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Also useful for the inevitable moment when you smack your noggin on the overhead lockers as you get out of your seat.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I take mine in hand luggage, I just don't like the idea of not knowing what is happening to it in the hold and with the luggage handlers, too much chance of invisible damage.

I usually take a small rucksack as hand luggage and I find that the helmet fits nicely right at the top right under the zip. It does mean you need to remove it and put it back in again every time you take something out of the rucksack, but it's no big deal.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    thanks folks - hold luggage it is. It's just not important, and it's a cheap helmet.

Helmets must be different to motorbike helmets - they are only built to withstand one impact I was always told, so you have to discard it after one drop. Annoying when it's a £500 helmet and it falls off the back of teh motorbike.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    We put ours in hold luggage - well, in the bike bag - and used it to protect the levers on the bars - and used shoes to go over the other levers ...
    Didn't even think about damage to the helmets - was more concerned about the bikes!
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    £500 helmet :shock:
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    BigLights wrote:
    thanks folks - hold luggage it is. It's just not important, and it's a cheap helmet.

Helmets must be different to motorbike helmets - they are only built to withstand one impact I was always told, so you have to discard it after one drop. Annoying when it's a £500 helmet and it falls off the back of teh motorbike.

No, it's the same for a bicycle helmet.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I have always clipped it to the outside of my hand luggage and then put it under the seat in front. No one has ever raised the issue of me therefore having two pieces of hand luggage and if they did I would put it on my head as it's a hat.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,015
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Happy to pack a ski helmet in the hold luggage, so see no reason why you wouldn't do the same for a bike helmet.

This.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Dorset Boy wrote:

This.
    I don't ski, but clearly ski helmets are different from bike helmets. They have hard shells and some types (if not others) are designed for multiple impacts.

In any case, even if ski helmets were the same as bike helmets, your argument would be missing a premise, i.e. that putting the ski helmet in the hold luggage is safe / a good idea... :wink:
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    whoof wrote:
    I have always clipped it to the outside of my hand luggage and then put it under the seat in front. No one has ever raised the issue of me therefore having two pieces of hand luggage and if they did I would put it on my head as it's a hat.
    ^ This
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Wear it on your head

I'm flying to Inverness in a few weeks for the start of a Jogle, thanks for this invaluable advice which I intend to follow, I'll post pictures later.