any reason not to use Slime?

r3hxn
r3hxn Posts: 127
edited May 2014 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

just wanted some advice, i've ordered a Cannondale Cx2 hybrid, that comes with knobby 700x35 tires, I'm going to be doing mainly recreational and fitness riding, with the occaisional easy mtb trail. Having rode a bike for years, never used Slime - anti puncture sealant, so am wondering what peoples thoughts are on it?

is it a no brainer addition, or are there reasons to consider not using it?

thanks

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    In my experience it didn't work.

Puncture resistant tyres on the other hand tend to work pretty well, especially Schwalbe.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes, it's shit.

Oh sorry, Initialised beat me to it, with a far more diplomatic answer.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes, it's shoot.

Oh sorry, Initialised beat me to it, with a far more diplomatic answer.

Me diplomatic, must be losing my edge or remembering my media training :roll:
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • r3hxn
    r3hxn Posts: 127
    thanks.

been reading its dead messy too. Will stick to carrying a spare tube for now and see how it goes.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
    Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Is the correct answer.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    From what I read when researching it it's useless for narrow high pressure road tyres but pretty effective for lower pressure MTB / wider tyres - so it might actually suit you
  • It's unnecessary. I've had I think two punctures in the last six years, which by my calculations equals close to 50,000 miles. Far better to carry a spare tube, or two if you want to be particularly careful. In any case, I think it only works for small punctures, and deteriorates over time within the tube.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Slime is an excellent way of quickly finding where your punctures are... unfortunately you then have to clean up all that mess as well as fix your puncture. A spare tube and some pre-glued patches are the way to go.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Always carry a spare tube, my last 'puncture' was when the valve stem snapped clean in half (presta, between locknut and valve tip), no patch was going to fix that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • laurencet
    laurencet Posts: 13
    Agree with The Rookie, also if you get slime in your valves they can clog and become useless.
    --
    Laurence