Brakes

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

My Daughter have a GT Avalanche with cable operated disc brakes, what would I need to take into consideration if I convert it to hydraulic brakes, I take it the rotors should be ok, and the callipers are post mounted.

Without breaking the bank what would you recommend using?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You just replace lever, calliper and cable with the assembly, things to consider
    1/ As your current ones are PM, just use existing adaptors and discs unless they are Avid when you need shorter bolts to allow for the binned CPS washers
    2/ Are the existing brake levers separate or combined with the shifters, if combined then new shifters needed.
    3/ Hose routing, the frame may have stops for the brake cable, so you either need to drill it out for the hose or use bolt in cable guides. Drilling can mean you have to split the brake to feed the hose through.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    My son has a 2011 Avalanche 3.0 Hydro that came with Tektro Auriga Comp brakes.
    They work fine and have performed well for the 2 years he has had the bike.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For new brakes, Shimano Deore offer leading edge performance for a good price, a little heavy and lack all the tool free adjustments of the higher level Shimano brakes though. Aurigas are competent but don't offer the same subjective 'feel' as Shimano.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Hi All

Thank you all for the replies, I don't have much experience as yet with mtb's but I have Shimano on my bike and I really like them great stopping power and feel, so I will have a look at those.