Aksium free tyres vs worn Conti GP

AdamJ
AdamJ Posts: 63
edited May 2014 in Road general
I bought some GP 4000s 25's recently and done a couple hundred miles on them, love em, used them before. However i noticed near the wear indicators it looks like a bit of glass has took a small slice of the rubber. It doesnt seem to go quite down to the thread underneath and is slightly smaller in comparison to the wear indicator.
Meantime im waiting for delivery of some mavic aksiums, with free tyres. Im not sure what size it will come with.

In 4 weeks im off on a 650 mile cycling holiday, so peace of mind is my main objective. Im going to spend most of the cycling day in the middle of nowhere so could do without any major mechanicals.

Im tempted to avoid tempting fate and go with the brand new tyres on the wheels, but how do they stand up in comparison?

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Wheels delivered soon (ish), holiday in 4 weeks? I'd say you have enough time to try the Mavics and see if they're any good. If so, great. If not, relegate to spares/turbo use and buy another GP4000S, if you really think you're current one will go bang and spoil your holiday.

Or you could sell the Mavics on here and make up the cost of a single GP4000S….
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    Wiggle are doing GP4000s for 26 quid at the mo. From what I have seen it's worth tucking a few away at that price.
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    take spare tyres on holiday - a sidewall slice can happen anywhen and it'll be a bugger if you're stuck without spares.
    Probably just a tyre boot for the day rides though (depends on if you're travelling with kit, it's staying in the same place or it's being transported for you?)
  • SteveDoe
    SteveDoe Posts: 26
    I bought a new Aksium wheel to replace a rear last Aug, but only fitted the free tyre earlier this month, replacing a Conti GP 4000 I had on most of last year. 4 punctures in 60 miles later (after none since Mid June last year- 2,500 miles ish) I lost confidence in the Mavic tyre, and replaced it with a Conti Gatorskin and no trouble since (just over 100 miles). Obviously just anecdotal, and could have been a coincidence, but seeing the thread title I had to reply.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    CXrider wrote:
    Wiggle are doing GP4000s for 26 quid at the mo. From what I have seen it's worth tucking a few away at that price.

Correction they are doing GP4000 not the GP4000's tyre. Merlin however are doing them for £26.
    Brian B.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    I've had the free Mavic tyres on for the last year, and done 5,000 kms or so on them. Two rear wheel punctures and none on the front,
    However will be replacing them soon wth GP4000s's.
  • AdamJ
    AdamJ Posts: 63
    Re: taking a tyre/accomodation, we will be living from a small bag on a rack each and staying in hostels without any kind of support vehicle, which makes it a bit tricky!

Interesting replies thanks, looks like theres not much faith in the mavics
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    My new bike has just arrived with these tyres but I am swapping the tyres(and kysrium wheels but that's another story) for the Conti 4000's as I run these tyres on all my bikes. I do a lot of miles on my own all over blighty and usually over the bleakest moors and hills I can find so want some confidence in my set up. Been using the 4000's for years now and think they are great for our roads.
    Brian B.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    No reference to the Conti GPs unfortunately but I've been running the Aksion Comps on a set of Kysriums for 3500kms without fail (I don't want to mention the "p" word in case I jinx it). They've been fine, I race in the UFOLEP league in France so they don't have an easy life at present.

I'm looking to buy some 25c tyres for the Marmotte, Etape and RideLondon this summer and I'll probably go for Mavic again.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Wait!!!

Iv had those exact tyres and wheels for the last year and they've been fine, no punctures to report!!
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling