Stem and handlebar lifespan?

wishitwasallflat
wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I have done 10k all-weather miles on my bike - well I say my bike because the only original components left are the stem and handlebars. It is (was?) a 2011 Specialized Sectuer - everything has either worn out or been replaced literally the only things left are stem and handlebars which are alloy. Now for a few reasons:

several things have been replaced because they broke - thinking especially of original alloy seat post and frame - ,
I am heavy - now 17.5 stone but was over 22 when I started riding this bike,
I ride on rough roads and didn't have much sense (i.e. trying to anticipate and avoid the worst hits) for the first couple of years (3-4 k maybe)

I am wondering if maybe it would be wise to replace stem and bars?

What do you think oh wise ones -
replacement is a wise precaution given the history of other similar components - or -
paranoia, nothing to worry about?

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Should be fine. Have you removed bar tape/cables and inspected the bars? With alloy (I think/imagine) there would possibly be a visual sign of stress and fatigue. Clamping points would be the most obvious places to pay attention to. May also be worth removing forks and checking the steerer too.

Did you actually break the alloy seat post?

If you're unsure then your LBS will be able to advise. If you really are going to be paranoid, especially at the top of a 20% descent then you can get Deda replacement bars and stem for ~£30.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Cheers Jordan there are no visible (to my eye at least) signs of problems - I just cleaned up stem and clamp and replaced rusty bolts, I also fitted new headset bearings last week so have had a look at forks and steerer as well (not had bar tape off though I must confess). It was the seat-post clamp upper part (the plate that pulls down on the rails as the screws tightened) which split and the frame cracked at a weld. So that made me think ... as these are the only OEM parts left ... ?
  • TJ20862
    TJ20862 Posts: 78
    No should be absolutely fine however check if they are bent as they can over time with weight on them start to sage/bent etc and even still not show physical signs of wear, so they can be weakened
    Hope that helps
  • Cheers TJ20862

Must resist urge to upgrade anyway
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    They'll be worn out, ugly, shyte and knackered by now - upgrade immediately or there is a high chance that you will die.

(This may or may not be entirely truthful but you should upgrade anyway).
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Your bike sounds like Trigger's broom. It lasted 20 years, only needed 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.

How many frames have you been through?!
  • They'll be worn out, ugly, shyte and knackered by now - upgrade immediately or there is a high chance that you will die.

Finally an expert on the topic comes along to advise me based upon the correct scientific perspective!
    Your bike sounds like Trigger's broom. It lasted 20 years, only needed 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time. How many frames have you been through?!

This is second but ...
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I feel that there should be a name for this condition. I've got the same issue having replaced my frame after a incident with a parked BMW......
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Lancew wrote:
    I feel that there should be a name for this condition. I've got the same issue having replaced my frame after a incident with a parked BMW......

It's called being a cyclist
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Cheaper, entry level OEM parts are stronger than many expensive items as they use more material. Chances are they'll be fine for a decade of hard use. Officially though, handlebars are supposed to be replaced every 2 years according to the manual. I've never seen any oversize bars snap, only ones I've seen are 25 year old chrome bars which fatigued. Twice. One guy ripped a part of him you don't want to even think about ripping either when he crashed.
  • mattv wrote:
    Cheaper, entry level OEM parts are stronger than many expensive items as they use more material. Chances are they'll be fine for a decade of hard use. Officially though, handlebars are supposed to be replaced every 2 years according to the manual. I've never seen any oversize bars snap, only ones I've seen are 25 year old chrome bars which fatigued. Twice. One guy ripped a part of him you don't want to even think about ripping either when he crashed.

Eek!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    mattv wrote:
    Is this the recommendation of a handlebar manufacturer? hmmm...
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    It is written in user manuals. Along with "you must replace them if you crash" because a few years back a guy crashed, bent his MTB bars, then kept riding and ages later they snapped. He successfully sued Easton or someone for alot of cash.