Peak District tips (update: Route Chosen)

PerformingMonkey
PerformingMonkey Posts: 218
edited May 2014 in Tour & expedition
Morning,

I have a stag do in the Peaks this weekend. I am planning on heading up early and getting a ride in on Friday.

Going to be be looking to start in the Wardlow/Tideswell area. Some people have mentioned Eyam, Grindleford and Hathersage or south to Bakewell and out through Chatsworth as potential points to visit.

I've just ordered a Garmin 800 and will be planning my route this week. I'll be looking to to do 40-50miles (with my 53/39, 25/12 set up this may be enough for a soft southerner like me). Anywhere in addition to the above that I should aim for or definitely not miss.

Can't wait!

Comments

• Parcelman
    Parcelman Posts: 16
    http://www.visitpeakdistrict.com/see-an ... outes.aspx. I hope this link works. Its to the visitpeakdistrict website that has 9 circular rides in the area. From Tideswell you might like to combine routes 3 and 6 for a 42 mile ride. If you have a garmin etc you can also download the gps files from the website
  • Parcelman wrote:
    http://www.visitpeakdistrict.com/see-and-do/cycleroutes.aspx. I hope this link works. Its to the visitpeakdistrict website that has 9 circular rides in the area. From Tideswell you might like to combine routes 3 and 6 for a 42 mile ride. If you have a garmin etc you can also download the gps files from the website

Bloomin spot on!!!! Thanks
  • I have just plotted a route for the new Garmin. Seems it will be a lot hillier than I am used to (South Downs is as hilly as it gets down here). Wonder how far I'll get on my non-compact 105 chainset?

VojRH84.png
  • Wardster00
    Wardster00 Posts: 143
    You will be absolutely fine as you are missing most of the steep climbs in the area.

If you were to do your route in reverse, it would be a different matter as you would be climbing Winnats Pass with it's 20% average gradient for a mile and a half!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    You still got a horribly steep climb from Stoney Middleton in there. One of the hardest stretches of 20% of the Peaks. It's not very scenic and if you're worried about hills I'd leave it out.
    You also got quite a bit of the A623, a very busy unpleasant road. Better take the smaller road from Tidesweell through Wheston to Peak Forest, and to Eyam via Foolow avoiding most of the A623. And rather than the main road from Hope through Bradwell, I'd go down to Hathersage and the stunning road through Abney and over the ridge via Bretton to Eyam.
    I'd also prefer the descent via Edale to Hope over the one down Winnats through Castleton; adds a few miles but also great scenery