How to protect your fingers from cold CO2 inflators?!

2»

Comments

• buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Carbonator wrote:
    Not sure that feet do the same job as a bike, but having two bikes must be wasteful, although I cannot recall anyone ever trolling a thread where someone mentions a second, third, or forth bike, yet it always happens when CO2 are asked about.

FYI I only have the one (road) bike, so I presume I'm entitled to use as much CO2 as a I like :) Maybe I'll create some sort of jet propulsion system in my saddle bag for the last climb of the day.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Denial is a powerful thing, isn't it? If you use a consumable where you really don't need to, that's wasteful; easy. You only use CO2 for convenience; a pump does the same job.

"Really don't need to"? The need is up to the individual isn't it?
    Do you need to use a washing machine or any one of hundreds of other things?

The difference between spending a minute or so pumping up a tyre and a few seconds with CO2 isn't exactly comparable to that, is it? It's just a very simple choice to make; that's it. If you are just out on a bike ride by yourself on your regular bike - no number on your back or others to hold up, you don't 'need' to use CO2.

But the main reason I don't use CO2 is that I would not want to use it without a pump in reserve, and because I don't bother with mini pumps that would be my HPX; which does the job well enough that I didn't see the need for anything else.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Do you work for Zefal?!

And back to the point, have you actually used a CO2 pump? I'm no CO2 fanboy, but they are bloody brilliant.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The way I see it is that most people do not want to take a big pump out on every ride when 99 times out of 100 its not going to be needed.

That leaves mini pump or CO2.
    Mini pumps are fine for that one time you need it but CO2 just works by far the best all round IMO.

I have never had a problem carrying two CO2 with no pump on the rides I do. Maybe I just have good tyres.
    I take patches and am sure I could borrow a pump or something if need be.

Of course on some rides its worth taking a pump to be on the safe side, but as I have to date not needed one and every puncture I have had has been sorted as fast/efficiently as poss. I feel my strategy has been spot on.

Maybe one CO2 and a mini pump would be a better strategy thinking about it. You can fit (hide :wink: ) a mini pump in one of those bottle cage storage bottles when you do not need 2 drink bottles.