What to wear for summer cycling?

lukebennett
lukebennett Posts: 52
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,

When cycling in the summer should I wear my base layers under my skin tight short sleeve jerseys? Or just the jersey? Want to know what's best for keeping cool :).

Thanks,

Luke

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I usually wear nothing but bibs, top, socks, shoes and a helmet. I do sometimes wear a cycling string vest though and find this good at mopping up sweat.

Assuming you're riding in the UK and not some hotter country the natural breeze is enough to stop you overheating.

Just make sure you take on enough liquids.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I've never worn a base layer under a short sleeved jersey in summer.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    BrandonA wrote:
    I usually wear nothing but bibs, top, socks, shoes and a helmet. I do sometimes wear a cycling string vest though and find this good at mopping up sweat.

Assuming you're riding in the UK and not some hotter country the natural breeze is enough to stop you overheating.

Just make sure you take on enough liquids.

Hmm I was thinking about grabbing a summer layer, not worth it at all for England? Or only for European sportives?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I tried one of those Castelli sleeveless mesh things on the hottest days last year and honestly think it did make a difference - felt more breeze circulating. Also tried arm coolers and think they maybe made a difference but not so sure of them - they did mean that I didnt have to mess around with sticky sun scream (which I hate) in on my arms and certainly didnt make me any hotter.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    arran77 wrote:
    I've never worn a base layer under a short sleeved jersey in summer.

I have, only on MTB night rides though.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Hi,

When cycling in the summer should I wear my base layers under my skin tight short sleeve jerseys? Or just the jersey? Want to know what's best for keeping cool :).

Thanks,

Luke

I don't think anyone can answer that, because nobody else is you. So try both.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Depends what temperature you find hot. I always where a base layer under a short sleeved jersey but I have also never ridden in this country and found the weather to be hot. If I go to Europe and the temperature gets to the mid to high 30s I'll where string vest base layer rather than a 'normal' one.
    It's not right, it's not wrong just what I feel comfortable wearing.
    I suggest you ride in what you feel the most comfortable.
  • Coollll, soo, I currently own a long sleeved jersey, this one: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hel ... 3#features.

And would like to get a short sleeved/sleeveless one for the summer. What would you guys recommend for a good summer jersey in the UK? The highs are probably just above 25 if we're super lucky haha.
  • apreading
    Obvious suggestion, if you like the HH stripe tops is http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hel ... e-ec018324

Otherwise, if you want a 'proper' jersey then the DHB ones are pretty great value - take your pick: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mens/dhb/short- ... g-jerseys/

If they have your size then I really like the simplicy and material of the DHB Mono: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-mono-short-sleeve-jersey/ - they are almost giving them away!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    i always wear a vest under my top. Its not usually THAT hot in the UK and the windchill soon cools you down.
    Even in the South of France heat I'd wear a stringy vest underneath.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I always wear a base layer.
    Have a Castelli mesh one for if it gets really hot but have never used it.

I prefer the layered feeling and not having bib straps (you are wearing bibs OP?) directly on my skin.
    Guessing sweat management is better too, and it means the jersey does not have to be as comfortable/is more comfortable.

As to recommendations, I like Skins and Castelli base layers.
    I find sleevelesss are better under a short sleeve jersey, and use short sleeve or long sleeve under a long sleeve one depending on how warm I want to be.

I think the main thing with a short sleeve summer jersey is that it fits well and that you like the design.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    apreading wrote:
    I didnt have to mess around with sticky sun scream (which I hate) in on my arms and certainly didnt make me any hotter.

Try this stuff. Not sticky, dries quickly, lasts a good time and doesn't run too much with sweat.

The smell when being applied is not great but worth it.

http://www.p20.co.uk/
  • apreading
    Navrig2 wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    I didnt have to mess around with sticky sun scream (which I hate) in on my arms and certainly didnt make me any hotter.

Try this stuff. Not sticky, dries quickly, lasts a good time and doesn't run too much with sweat.

The smell when being applied is not great but worth it.

http://www.p20.co.uk/

But said by quite a few people to stain clothing. I realise I am in a minority but I hate the feel of any of the sun creams, sprays etc. I do use them but only when I have to. Generally the invisible, non greasy sprays are best for me as they are the least noticeable.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    One of the mags printed an article suggesting that wearing a vest may be cooler. Something to do with moving moisture. More to the point its what works for you.
    As we almost never get it hot in the UK, say 30+ I wear a short sleeved vest 99% of the time. If its above about15 I wear short sleeves and arm warmers as that's flexible.
    Don't worry abut fancy vests. Almost all are the same fabric with a fancy name. See what works for you.
    Prendas are good as are DHB . Or you can spend more.
  • markiegrim
    markiegrim Posts: 136
    Try without base layer before buying. I bought one and only goes on at about<10. We are all different in terms of when we feel hot or cold
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    I find a string vest layer works well in the heat, otherwise you end up with a sweat-soaked jersey stuck to your skin, which soon gets cold on a descent. As above it is also more comfortable under bib straps.

Decathlon do basic vests for around a tenner.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Less.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Naked
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    You don't give a location but I'm assuming Western Europe, probably Britain?
    Weather in this part of the world does not typically stick to a strict schedule or adhere to exact specifications.
    I've assembled a range of clothing that covers everything from freezing to 30 degrees+ but I'm not about to label them by the time of year. I think it's best to organise your cycling clothing so that you are not wearing one of a few set outfits but rather adding or removing components to adjust for conditions. I have bib tights that only come out when the temperature is below about 6 or 7 degrees as does my buff. I own no long sleeve jerseys. I typically wear normal bib shorts and add knee warmers if it's a little chilly or I'm just not sure. On top I wear a short sleeve jersey. On the rare occasions that it's very hot I wear a sleeveless mesh top underneath. If it's cool I'll wear a baselayer underneath and/or a gillet or windstopper over it. Baselayer according to requirements: a long sleeve merino wool affair if I need lots of warmth, light long sleeve or light short sleeve as required. Arm warmers and knee warmers are good it you're going for a long ride, it might be okay later but it's a bit chilly setting out. Toe covers work well in borderline conditions too.

However while that's the sort of wardrobe I use, I couldn't tell anyone else what way they should use it for a given day or a given ride. I always wear less than my riding buddies and I'm always comfortable - that's just me. Also you need to wear more on a long slow ride than a short fast one. I've gone out in minimal kit (jersey and bib shorts) in pretty cold conditions for rides where I only planned to do 30mins but was going to be doing that flat out.
    So to ask what should I wear in summer really makes no sense.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SUN CREAM!!!!!!!!!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Main issue is on longer rides I start at about 7am and all year round it's chilly then so have to start out with arm warmers or long sleeved top but by about 11am it's much warmer so I either suffer in the heat or have to carry around the arm warmers etc