Charge spoon.

Rad2474
Rad2474 Posts: 162
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Was out for 6 hours yesterday and I'm a bit sore. Not had my bike long but first ride out i thought the saddle wasn't as comfortable as my hard tail's so i've been looking at the charge spoon anyone recommend it? Thanks.

Comments

• mac-cos
    mac-cos Posts: 80
    I tried a Charge Spoon Ti Railed version a while back and it gave me saddle sores. I think if your on the heavy side the spoon may be a bit too flexy leading to pressure in spots you don't want. Currently on a SDG BelAir which is smiles better for my butt. Others seem to love em.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A bit sore after 6 hours seems reasonable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Saddles are a very personal choice. There's not one saddle which is comfortable for everyone.
    Do you use padded shorts?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Six hours is a long time to be on any saddle without being a bit sore, especially if you aren't used to that kind of time.

The padded shorts thing is the first question to answer.

The Charge Spoon is great value and a good place to start as it's only £20 spent* if it doesn't work (not sure where the "it doesn't work for bigger guys thing comes from, I had one when I was 115kg with no problems and it's still great now I'm at 98kg). The Spoon will be easy to sell if it doesn't work.

There's always the various "measurement" options, where you measure your sit bones and a decent bike shop will then recommend something based on that measurement.

*You can normally find them on offer somewhere at £15 or so. Don't forget the Madison Flux is the same saddle so if you can get a deal on one of those then it's another good "try it and see" option.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    Saddles are a very personal choice. There's not one saddle which is comfortable for everyone.
    Do you use padded shorts?
    I do but didn't have them on,can't why i did't went all the way round Keilder water and did a couple of trails also.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't blame the saddle then, you know where the fault lies now!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Was a big fan of the spoon for a few years and fitted them on all my road bikes & MTB and found them comfy. However, earlier this year developed a really bad saddle sore (never had anything the like in 25+ years) that refused to budge for weeks. Always wear washed bib shorts, always clean myself etc. My eventual conclusion was that the two lines of stitching which run down the length of the saddle were tearing the skin. So have replaced: saddles that is.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    borisface wrote:
    Was a big fan of the spoon for a few years and fitted them on all my road bikes & MTB and found them comfy. However, earlier this year developed a really bad saddle sore (never had anything the like in 25+ years) that refused to budge for weeks. Always wear washed bib shorts, always clean myself etc. My eventual conclusion was that the two lines of stitching which run down the length of the saddle were tearing the skin. So have replaced: saddles that is.

If you got on with it before then well worth trying the Madison Flux. It's the same saddle but with a different cover/stitching.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • used mine on a 12 hr endurance event (Thetford Dusk Till Dawn ) with no problems. The problem is your not wearing good branded gel insert shorts.
    Like my spoon so much, swapped it back on when bought my new Giant Anthem X29er 1
    Madison just as good ( abit cheaper), got it on my hybrid
    The weight thing is nonsense, I'm 18 stone!
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.