Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

The swimsuit issue

GiraffotoGiraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
The issue I have is, why is a pair of trunks (or shorts) clearly plural, while a bikini is singular?




This is my entry for the Most Disappointing Thread of the Year title
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Posts

  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,276
    Surely 'Bi-' is a prefix meaning 2 or twice, as in Bi-kini?
  • finchyfinchy Posts: 6,689
    Bikinis were named after the Bikini Atoll, site of American nuclear weapons tests. Nothing to do with bi= 2.

    The bikini is the top and bottom, and also gets called a bikini suit. If you are talking just about the bottom, they get called bikini briefs, so they are in the plural just like swimming trunks.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,276
    orraloon wrote:
    Surely 'Bi-' is a prefix meaning 2 or twice, as in Bi-kini?

    Ok, I missed the :) off, indicating 'joke'..... :D
  • finchyfinchy Posts: 6,689
    orraloon wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Surely 'Bi-' is a prefix meaning 2 or twice, as in Bi-kini?

    Ok, I missed the :) off, indicating 'joke'..... :D

    Ah, sorry, I just thought you were a bit thick. :P :D
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,276
    None taken.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,276
    orraloon wrote:
    None taken.

    Oops, done it again!

    :)
  • finchyfinchy Posts: 6,689
    Looks like I was right first time. :lol::lol::lol:

    No offence.
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    Not in the spirit of humour but before modern tailoring, pants were made in two parts, one for each leg, the pieces were put on each leg separately and then wrapped and tied or belted at the waist, the plural usage persisted out of habit even after the garments had become physically one piece.

    Or maybe that's just pants :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • eric_draveneric_draven Posts: 1,173
    it's to do with Sonic Youth

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANWAHZU-tMc
  • GiraffotoGiraffoto Posts: 2,078
    team47b wrote:
    Not in the spirit of humour but before modern tailoring, pants were made in two parts, one for each leg, the pieces were put on each leg separately and then wrapped and tied or belted at the waist, the plural usage persisted out of habit even after the garments had become physically one piece.

    Or maybe that's just pants :D

    Just draughty, perhaps . . . :?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
Sign In or Register to comment.