What inner tube size

deimosjohnny
deimosjohnny Posts: 135
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,
Noob.
Want to get a spare inner for my mekk poggio confused by the size options.
Tyre is a 700-23 that came with the bike.

So what are the recommended makes and what are the size options?

Also if I was to change the tyres what would you recommend or are the Vittoria Zaffiro 700x23c ok.

Thanks

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Hi, Specialized butyl 700C presta tubes cover 20-28mm wide tyres, different valve stem lengths are available so check the one's on your bike and match to that. There are also latex tubes available, I'm trialling Michelin Aircomp 700 x 22/23 in 25mm wide tyres at the moment, they lose air quicker that the butyl type, however if you check your pressures before every ride it's not really a problem. There are other brands available, I've only used Specialized, Michelin, Continental and Air-B. Hope this helps you.
  • mainly use Conti tubes myself as they are often on deals on Wiggle but never found much difference between makes - any tube with 23 in the stated size range will do you e.g. 20-28

As to tyres these do make a huge difference - Vittoria Open Pave's are the nicest feeling tyres I've ever used and Conti GP4000s are perennial favourites of many - if your frame will take it get 25mm ones. Feel nicer and no detriment to speed etc.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I personally use thin butyl tubes as they give a nicer ride i.e. Conti Supersonic, they're about £10 each but its a great "upgrade" for little cost.

The Paves are great tyres but cut up easily. Used to use GP4000S, they're fine, now moved to Michelin Pro4 Service Course and like them in 23c.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Tubes I tend to use conti, always buy in packs of 10 and try to get a size that goes up to or near my tyre size rather than include it or go over it as that way the tube is smaller and easier to fit, less likely to get tyre lever pinch flats.On 25mm tyres would use 20-25mm and also the same even on 28mm tyres as it much harder to fit 28-37mm to 28's.
  • Thanks everyone, still learning so all new info is great.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you are going to upgrade your tyres do it properly or don't bother.
    There is no point in getting something only slightly better.

Stock tyres are usually cheap rubbish but someone on ebay will buy them.
    I take them straight off a new bike and stick some high end ones on.
    GP4000's are about £25 these days and you can get most of that back by selling the stock ones as new :wink: