Kids and bikes...the Belgian way.

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
edited April 2014 in Road general
The Belgian policy for cycling development...the UK still has a long way to go. A pic from the youth racing that was taking place on today's L-B-L course, this is just after the Flamme Rouge, the point where Capt Dan made his move.

...and a number of these kids where riding on the big ring, youth gearing or not, they were impressive to watch.

BelgianYouth_zps9039769e.jpg
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You've not seen any UK youth racing then..?
  • Have you ever seen any that inspires them beyond circuit racing?
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • imposter2.0
    Have you ever seen any that inspires them beyond circuit racing?

Not sure what you mean. The main focus should be on the racing itself, regardless of where it takes place. Most of our own club's ex-youth riders have made the progression to open road racing well enough. In some cases, extremely well.....

In any case, are you sure that's actually a youth race going on in your pic? I only ask because there appear to be adults on the circuit at the same time.
  • I don't doubt what you say...but the emphasis is not on becoming World class; or becoming the next Gilbert or Boonen, I hope you can prove me wrong, progressing to extremely well just doesn't cut it at the top level.

The kids were mentored with adult riders whilst on the course, support cars were also provided, giving the whole event a much more exciting feel for those involved. Why can't we see this on the forth coming city centre races, where the kids can ride a lap before the main event, on closed roads with support cars to give them the whole 'pro' experience? Would it be so difficult?
  • imposter2.0
    I don't doubt what you say...but the emphasis is not on becoming World class; or becoming the next Gilbert or Boonen, I hope you can prove me wrong, progressing to extremely well just doesn't cut it at the top level.

The kids were mentored with adult riders whilst on the course, support cars were also provided, giving the whole event a much more exciting feel for those involved. Why can't we see this on the forth coming city centre races, where the kids can ride a lap before the main event, on closed roads with support cars to give them the whole 'pro' experience? Would it be so difficult?

Of course the focus is on becoming 'world class' - but not at youth level, obviously. When I say 'extremely well' I mean exactly that - world class. The majority of riders on BC's ODP scheme are from the youth racing scene, and riders like Cav, Geraint Thomas, Luke Rowe and others have all come up through the youth ranks, whether via ODP or not.

Not sure if you've seen much city centre racing, but the youth races at events like Abergavenny (Elite Circuit Series) and Aberystwyth (Tour Series) and probably loads of others are usually proper 'pro' looking. So to answer your question - no, it's not difficult (unless you're an organiser) and yes, it is already happening.

If you get the chance, head over to the IoM next weekend for the Youth Tour - or if that's not convenient, try and get to Preston/Blackpool/Lancaster at the end of May for the North West Youth Tour - both are three-day youth stage races which attract some of the best young riders in the UK and Europe.