Worn Hollowtech 2 bb/axle

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Just been cleaning my winter bike and think it could do with a new set of bearings as it doesn't feel particularly smooth. But will I damage the axle if I continue to ride it? I don't think there is a bearing surface on the axle of Hollowtech 2 cranks/axle, is that right?

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Not as such, no. Axle goes through the inner race of a cartridge bearing, rather than contacting the ball bearings themselves.
  • OK, cool. That's what I thought. Thanks for your reply.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    If the bearing is very loose it could put some small grooves in the axle over a long enough period of time but it would have to be very loose such as when the bearing starts to disintegrate. If it's just slightly rough but still turns fine then it should be fine for a while. Not sure if you know but the HT bearing can be exposed by carefully prying off the seal allowing you to flush and relube which may be all they need.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Also, I've seen instances where salt and other contaminents have got washed inside the assembly, and the axle has become pitted and corroded where it sits against the plastic sleeves. For this reason, it's good practise to periodically remove the cranks to clean and regrease the axle.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Thanks for the replies. The BB isn't badly worn, just doesn't turn very smoothly. Think it would probably be OK, but I've booked it into the LBS as the headset needs doing as well.