Hardtail MTB with a bigger fork

MaxDemain
MaxDemain Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey!
I´m from germany, and raltively new in the mtb world! I bought a NS Clash 1 Hardtail, but thats nothing for travel. I´m looging for a hardtail (cause its cheaper as a fullsuspensions by better components) for travelling and trailsurfing. I found the boardman ht pro and the whyte 901, but the whyte is to expensive. Have anyone a idea or know a bike like that?

650B or 29"
fork 120mm>

and around 1000€, but it can be more!

Comments

• careca78
    careca78 Posts: 102
    Hello

Have you ever considered something like a trail hardtail?
    On One has the 650B version of its popular 456 Evo 2 bike and I think there is someone in the forum that has one.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650BD ... ntain-bike

Maybe it's a bit more aggro than you're looking for, but it ticks some of your boxes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Bird zero... Goes on sale this week. Check out Facebook.com/birdmtb.co.uk... Blatant plug over.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Careca78 wrote:
    Have you ever considered something like a trail hardtail?
    On One has the 650B version of its popular 456 Evo 2 bike and I think there is someone in the forum that has one.

That'd be me! :wink:

I've had mine for about 2 months. I bought it as a 'do it all' MTB, replaced a Boardman Team Hardtail and got the On One instead of a 2nd hand Full Suspension bike. I've just come back from a weekend in Wales (Penmachno, 'The Beast' at CyB) and its been brilliant! Its a really capable bike on everything I've thrown it at ... flowy singletrack, nadgery rocky trails, steep techy droppy-offy descents and surprisingly good at climbing too (got a cheeky uphill KOM on Sunday! :lol: )

Being a hardtail, it batters you about a bit, but no more than any other hardtail ... being a 650b, with large-ish volume tyres takes some of the sting out of the trail. It has improved my confidence and my riding significantly, so comes with my recommendation!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    benpinnick wrote:
    Bird zero... Goes on sale this week. Check out Facebook.com/birdmtb.co.uk... Blatant plug over.

Nice!!
  • benpinnick wrote:

When are you going to update the website? Dying to see some pics and geometry specs.
  • MaxDemain
    Is the One One Evo 456 different than the clash 1 ? I know that habe 20 Gears, but have the on one also a better geometry for travel?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick wrote:

When are you going to update the website? Dying to see some pics and geometry specs.

New Web shop goes live next week ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    benpinnick wrote:

I'm still waiting for him to send us a bike to test ;)
  • benpinnick
    What are you doing Sat?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you're plugging them, at least send me one to test...
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    benpinnick wrote:
    What are you doing Sat?
    Sounds like an offer

Isn't Crowthorne just by Swinely? All meet there Sat for a test ride :wink:
  • benpinnick
    Big Al if you're near us you're always welcome. I was actually meaning cwmcarn...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    benpinnick wrote:
    What are you doing Sat?

are you going to be there all day? i'll see if I can sneak out for an hour :)
  • MaxDemain
    MaxDemain wrote:
    Is the One One Evo 456 different than the clash 1 ? I know that have 20 Gears, but have the on one also a better geometry for travel?

can anybody say somthing to that, please?
  • benpinnick
    welshkev wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    What are you doing Sat?

are you going to be there all day? i'll see if I can sneak out for an hour :)

Yeah we'll be there all day. I can bring you a bike if you like. How tall are you?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    MaxDemain wrote:
    MaxDemain wrote:
    Is the One One Evo 456 different than the clash 1 ? I know that have 20 Gears, but have the on one also a better geometry for travel?

can anybody say somthing to that, please?

The NS Clash 1 and the On One 456 Evo / 45650b look to be quite different bikes ... presumably the Clash is more of a dirt / jump bike, whereas the On One is a Trail bike?

Re. geometry ... NS website quotes head angle at 66.5:
    http://www.ns-bikes.com/clash-1,50,pl.htm

On One quotes head angle on the 45650b as 65.7, so is slightly slacker.

The Clash has 130mm Suntour Epicon forks; the On One has 140mm Rockshox Sektor forks (I'm presuming these are better ... they certainly work very well on my bike!) The Clash has Avid brakes; the On One has Shimano Deore, which most people would probably rate more highly. The Clash has 1 x 8 SRAM x5 gears; the On One has 2 x 10 Shimano Deore. The Clash is £1099; the On One is £899.

Depends on what you want from your bike, but there's nothing about the NS Clash that is making me regret buying my On One 45650b ... which is a very capable and confidence-inspiring trail bike.