New to Road cycling. Which bike

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm a mountain biker have been for a few years. My Brother does a lot of road cycling and enters lots of 100+ miles events.
I would eventually like to join him in these events. I'm a fit Guy, so just need to purchase a road bike and get some miles in.
I would have 2k to spend tops. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Ask your brother what he recommends - he's knows you better than we do. 100s to choose from, will be mainly about preference of styling for you as no dud bikes st that price point.

You sort of need to narrow it down a bit and then ask for comparisons of one to another, otherwise all you get with such an open question on a forum is people recommending what they currently ride.

I'd buy the next model up from him just to pee him off :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    As said for £2k there's huge choice so you need to narrow it down a little. At that price your talking full 11 speed ultegra and full carbon frame.

But I do agree with buying the same as your brother one one model better!
  • t4tomo wrote:

I'd buy the next model up from him just to pee him off :D

Good advise :lol:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    As has already been said, your brother is probably the best person to speak to.

I would avoid spending anywhere near £2k on a first road bike though unless you have lots of spare cash- a £6-700 bike with a nice pair of wheels that fits you properly will serve you almost as well as a £2k bike. You'll also have a two pairs of wheels- one for winter/ training and one for events, and the nice pair can always be swapped onto a nice bike later down the line.
    I tend to think that near the 2k mark the bikes are designed with different purposes in mind, such as sportives/ comfort, climbing, aero, out and out racing etc. I would get some experience with a cheaper bike first so you know which route you want to go down, and then you always have your cheaper bike for winter riding and 'riskier' events.

Have fun!
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Thanks for the advice Guys.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013