Carbon Clincher Breaking Noise

rich91
rich91 Posts: 14
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi

I recently purchased a set of Mavic Carbone SLE WTS carbon clinchers, I have them set up with the correct brake pads yet the noise when breaking is unbearable and so loud I'm avoiding using them. Can anyone suggest how to reduce the noise?

Cheers

Comments

• Have you set the pads up with a slight toe in? if so-

Which pads are you using? I have found swiss stops to be the least noisy, but on long descents if they are getting warm they will make a racket
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    they are not carbon, they are hard anodised metal, or ceramic if you prefer. It's noisy, not much you can do about that
    left the forum March 2023
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,523
    use the correct pads and make sure they're toed in a bit

fwiw i've got some other wheels with exalith, after a while the noise reduces, but they'll always be louder than wheels with smooth brake tracks
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Technically, all pads should to toed in to some extent. Carbon ones even more so. If they grip the wheel flat they are going to squeak. You need to adjust to around 1mm bias to the front of the pad making contact to the rim first under braking.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    1 or 2 credit cards under the trailing edge of the brake pads, tighten them up while squeezing the brake.

job done.
  • rich91
    rich91 Posts: 14
    Thanks for the credit card tip, have toed in the pads and noise has improved alot.
    Cheers! :)