Chainset is catching the frame...

stubbo79
stubbo79 Posts: 76
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi

Can anyone offer some advice. I am working on a rebuild project of a steel frame 1980's road bike. I have had it returned from the paint shop and have been trying to fit the exact parts back onto the frame now I have cleaned them up but for some reason I am have trouble with the chainset. As I said is the same one that came off, taken cranks off, old style bottom bracket, replaced the bearing cages with exact ones and put it back together making sure longer side of spindle is chainset side but it's catching on the frame.

Spent 2 hrs in the garage taking it apart putting it back together, watched hrs of YouTube videos and it seems like I am doing everything correct. Any thoughts before I have to suck it up and trudge to the LBS!

Thanks
Trek Emonda SL6
Cannondale Supersix 105
Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105
Boardman CX Comp
Voodoo Bizango 29er

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The paint shop gave you a different frame back? :lol:

Sorry, can't think of anything. Presume you didn't strip and re-assemble the crankset?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Was there a spacer between the fixed cup and the BB shell? You could try fitting a 1mm spacer or finding a longer BB spindle.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • stubbo79
    stubbo79 Posts: 76
    Rolf, yes I did strip the the crankset but I have put it back the only way it can go, I am beginning to wonder if it's my frame. Ha ha, all very odd!

Monty, I don't remember a spacer, certainly not amongst my parts I have to go back on.
    Trek Emonda SL6
    Cannondale Supersix 105
    Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105
    Boardman CX Comp
    Voodoo Bizango 29er
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    What is the rear dropout spacing? On a 1980's frame it could be 126mm instead of 130.
    Might be a bit far fetched but maybe the paint shop clamped it into a rig with 130mm spacing and have distorted the chainstay a fraction - just enough to catch the chainset.

Just grasping at straws really!!!!!! :roll:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Did you try it with the spindle the other way round? It's the earliest mistakes in a process that are the hardest ones to solve because you don't tend to test them!

@arlowood. I think that is a straw too many! The fouling will be happening near the chainstay bridge so it could barely move at all - never mind that the chainstay would spring back anyway. If I was grasping at straws I'd go for the painters having got carried away and dumped far too much paint on the frame!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • RodWatts
    RodWatts Posts: 16
    Here's a Mr Bodgit answer which I have tried successfully on a square taper bb:
    Take a beer can or a coke can, you can try different cans for different thicknesses, cut a piece that will fit between the the square taper and the crank and it will act like a shim to push the crank out a few mm.
    Simples!