Broken rear deraillier on new bike!

Andycar82
Andycar82 Posts: 129
edited April 2014 in Road general
Having searched high and low for a new bike I eventually went for a Wilier GTR Veloce, having ridden it for the past 2 months, the chain has snapped 6 weeks ago and today the derailer broke off and went into my chain. My previous bike had campag Xenon and I never had any issues and rode the same routes and same way! I know the shop I bought the GTR Veloce put it together in store, anyone else had early derailer issues or have an explanation of the cause? Cheers
Wilier GTR and Italian Tifosi Stalion

Comments

• Andycar82 wrote:
    today the derailer broke off and went into my chain.

I don't understand
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Andycar82
    Basically the derailer snapped off and got caught up in my chain, anyway, its not happened to me before, any reasons why it would happen from what I've said in the 1st post? Or do bike shops take responsibility, it was given a service at the beginning of the month from the shop, I bought it at beginning of March
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sounds like the rear mech has wrapped itself around the cassette which was probably due to poorly adjusted gears or bent rear mech hanger or a combination of the two - the latter could have been caused if the chain jammed prior to it breaking. A forced shift/user error can break the chain which could have started the run of events.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Andycar82
    Really? I have ridden Campy Xenon for 5 years on my previous bike with no issue whatsoever, the Veloce derailer seems very flimsy if its going to brake after poor shifting less than a month after it was given its new bike service. Looks like the Warranty might not cover this, great!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You haven't made it clear yet if it is the derailleur or the mech hanger that broke. That's kind of relevant. A photograph or two would help.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Did YOU make any adjustments to the bike? :?
  • Andycar82
    I put the seat up, would that break a deraillier?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    if you trod on the derailleur as you did it it could...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Rolf F wrote:
    You haven't made it clear yet if it is the derailleur or the mech hanger that broke. That's kind of relevant. A photograph or two would help.

To the OP. Any further word on the above post? Picture of what's broken? :?
  • Andycar82
    It's back at the shop, seems like they will just replace it as no charge was mentioned, I learnt to ride clip ins a couple of years ago with a campy xenon derailer so that had plenty of knocks but never snapped off. This bike hasn't touched the ground, will see if they will cover it in the warranty in next few days while they sort it
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Shimano !!.....i'll get me coat !!
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I recently bought a Wilier GTR to replace my second bike but stripped the Veloce, FSA and Miche stuff off it to sell on. Guy who bought the bits had the left crank arm fall off the FSA Gossamer chain set (FSA have had previous issues around this despite being torqued correctly) and there was no wavy washer meaning there was sideways play. The derailleurs haven't been a problem though. I can see that the hanger is a bit flimsy though and on mine it was barely tight allowing the rear derailleur to angle itself out of line as the tension was increased.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    These sorts of things don't just happen. My guess is that you shifted poorly under load and snapped the hanger. But as others have said, this thread is useless without pictures.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    How did you come to snap a new chain?
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5