Cannondale Slice diet

HowardG
HowardG Posts: 29
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi folks,

Would appreciate some help.

I have a very nice Slice for the summer tri season but find it a bit heavy and flexy. Probably can't do much about the flexy as the frame tubes are an aero compromise, but I'd like to lighten it a little.

Firstly I'd like to change the crankset for something lighter, standard size, bb30. Love the look of the Cannondale Sisl cranks but have you seen the price! What are the options? Also hoping for better changing as I find the 105 fd and TR rings not a patch on the all ultegra set up on my roadie.

Another area is to change the brakes and mechs to ultegra. Will save a few grams and hopefully slicken things up.

Anything I've missed? The wheels are staying though!

One more thing, I'll be needing to carry more drink for the half iron I'm doing, especially if it's hot. The bike has one bottle position on the seat tube, should I add one to the bars or behind the saddle?

Any opinions welcome.

How

Comments

• HowardG
    The existing cranks are trimaxpro, 110bcd. I'd attach a pic if I knew how.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    What wheels do you have fitted?

What budget do you have for upgrades?

If you're looking to change brakes, I'd use planetx calipers forged/cnc-ed.

As for chainset, SRAM force and red chainsets are both pretty good. Or you could spend more and get rotor. If you want to spend a little less, then just change your current rings for some praxis works ones.

As for deraileurs, I wouldn't bother.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • HowardG
    I have mavic cosmic sr wheels. No fixed budget for the upgrades.

I have looked at rotor 3d+, are they they the best option? Are the rotor rings slick shifting?

I'll have a look at the PX brakes, good and light?

Thanks so far.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    HowardG wrote:
    I have mavic cosmic sr wheels. No fixed budget for the upgrades.

I have looked at rotor 3d+, are they they the best option? Are the rotor rings slick shifting?

I'll have a look at the PX brakes, good and light?

Thanks so far.

Rotor are good, but I don't know which model is the best price/ performance. They don't come with rings, you buy them separately. If you want round rings then praxis works are the best, and strong light are cheaper and good for the money.

Planetx brakes are light and pretty cheap. They can be fiddly to set up (some people have issues, some don't), they are single pivot and so not as powerful as most (dual pivot) brakes, but I find them powerful enough and I am ~75kg.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    HowardG wrote:

One more thing, I'll be needing to carry more drink for the half iron I'm doing, especially if it's hot. The bike has one bottle position on the seat tube, should I add one to the bars or behind the saddle?

Firstly, I doubt if the changes you make will have any significant impact on the bike's weight. Secondly, it's worth noting that after losing however much weight off the bike, you plan to add a few more bottles onto it... ;)