Sore knees with Bont Vaypors?

dieselgeezer
dieselgeezer Posts: 231
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Have just switched from Sidis to Bonts. Have positioned the cleats to match as close as possible. But, after one ride, I'm getting a pain on the inner face (medial) of both knees. This suggests that I may be riding a bit toe-out but I've checked the cleats & position-wise they are the same as the Sidis.
Any pointers??
-- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The shoes may be angled out slightly compared to the Sidis.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Bonts are a very very different shape from Sidis, Bonts have an anatomical last and inbuilt medial arch support ( they are much more natural foot shaped than Sidi) as a result the cleats may well need to be in a different looking position to be in the correct biomechanical alignment. Now how you get there I can't say but I am not at all surprised that the position on Sidi is wrong on Bonts.

Nothing would beat a fit by an expert but for DIY this is the best guide I've seen

http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    This suggests that I may be riding a bit toe-out but I've checked the cleats & position-wise they are the same as the Sidis.
    Any pointers??

As others have said, the two shoes are not comparable. You have to set up the Bonts completely from scratch, without comparing the old position on the Sidis.
  • Thanks for the replies. Seems like some advanced measurement & tweeking required. Not sure if a bike fitter could even assist with this.
    -- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi
  • Thanks for the replies. Seems like some advanced measurement & tweeking required. Not sure if a bike fitter could even assist with this.

Any person who calls themselves a bike fitter who couldn't set up shoes and cleats is a fraud. Post what areas of the country you can get to and someone should be able to recommend you someone.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I tried Bonts once and they bare no elation to other shoes. A friend riding behind me when I was wearing the Bonts said my feet were either towing out or in, I cant remember but it was very noticeable. I got rid of them, Sidi Wires are so far the best shoes Ive found. Bonts are designed for Kangaroos.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo