old DAWG, new tricks?

kester
kester Posts: 79
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello. I currently have an '08 Kona Dawg Deluxe which i've had from new and i'm looking to start upgrading to new parts for it and not too sure where to start.

Im not looking for anything too expensive but nothing sh**e either! just some things that will help improve the life of it and possibly slighty lighter (have been unable to get a specific weight on the bike but closest I found was anywhere from 13.5 - 14kg)

Mainly do my mountain biking in the North Lakes / 7 Staines areas.

List of parts that were as new on my Dawg are in the link below

http://www.konabikeworld.com/08_dawgdeluxe_w.htm

the only thing that I have changed from standard is the tyres which are now Continental Gravity as I was looking or some all round tyres and they had some decent reviews.

Cheers in advance!!

Comments

• rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    Tough call. To be honest, I guess the next step up from that is a lighter version. Won't change much in terms of functionality. Possibly higher spec chsinset first, then carbon bars and stem, then drivetrain. Wheels already light, brakes might be worth swapping for hopes or formula or xt/xtr. Other than that, it's pretty well equipped already.

I don't think you'll get much more performance from expensive parts, only shed a few pounds but will cost a lot of cash.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shedding weight can be expensive, Deore stuff all works functionally very well so the only improvement you'll get (unless something is knackered) is reduced weight.

Wheels are always a good place to start, lighter wheels make a bike ride much 'lighter' than a similar weight lost from elsewhere, you can lift the front easier, accelerate faster (rotational as well as translational inertia reduced) and the suspension works better with less unsprung mass to control. Couple with some competitive weight tubes and tyres to suite your riding.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.