5 Speed Freewheel

stephendixon
stephendixon Posts: 9
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hoping somebody can help me with this please?
I would like to replace the wheels on my aging Carlton bike, which has a 5 speed freewheel.
The wheels I have for the replacement currently have a 7 speed on the rear hub.
If I buy a Shimano 5 speed freewheel will it fit on the newer hub?

Thanks in advance Steve

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Your 5-speed Carlon is likely to use a 5-speed, screw-on freewheel whereas it's more likely that your 7-speed bike has a freehub that takes a 7-speed cassette and the two aren't intercompatible. To complicate things more, your Carlton frame is likely to be designed for a 120mm or 126mm wide rear hub whereas the 7-speed wheel will be 130mm wide and - the frame can be adjusted to fit. Suggest you take it to your LBS who can advise on your best options but it's not a straight swap.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Your 5-speed Carlon is likely to use a 5-speed, screw-on freewheel whereas it's more likely that your 7-speed bike has a freehub that takes a 7-speed cassette and the two aren't intercompatible. To complicate things more, your Carlton frame is likely to be designed for a 120mm or 126mm wide rear hub whereas the 7-speed wheel will be 130mm wide and - the frame can be adjusted to fit. Suggest you take it to your LBS who can advise on your best options but it's not a straight swap.

Thinking back(way back) it seems to me that I fitted one of my bikes with what was called an ultra 7, or some such thing and it replaced my screw on 6 speed freewheel. Once again - I think. :?