Bullhorns, barend shifters and brakes

lonegringo
lonegringo Posts: 26
edited September 2015 in Workshop
I've seen a number of posts regarding this across the internet but none that answer my specific question - if anyone has links to a previous post I would be happy to receive them.

Basically I want to change my drop bar to a bullhorn one and continue to use the same brake levers I have already on the drops - full hooded Shimano type ones. I have seen more lightweight brake levers, simple "clip on TT type ones" that would definitely do the job. However, I wanted to know if anyone had tried the full hooded ones in this position and if there would be any problems, aside from asthetic ones...i.e. finger reach, mechanical power etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The problem with a drop-bar lever on a bull horn bars is the routing of the cables, the have to make a tight, downward right-angle bend which can cause cable drag.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've seen bikes with it done but didn't take a note of the cable routing. TT brake levers fit inside the bar ends and come with internal or external cable routing. I found this made the bars more comfortable with the brake cable at the bottom of the bars. One solution for the gear shifting is Di2 :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Hmmm - digital, no thanks - forgot to mention this was a tourer and don't fancy the idea of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with a digital problem. I have seen other TT levers that don't fit in the ends...giving the option of adding the shifters in that place...I think this is what I'm going to go for eventually and leave the drop levers on the original bar.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Do the brake levers incorporate shifters? You don't say.If not, there is no sense in using them over tt brake levers given the difficulties you will have with cable routing.
  • no, my current levers are standard aero ones (Ultegra or Deore I think) from my old Dawes Galaxy, same as the bar end shifters. I just spoke to Cane Creek people, they said I could do it with the cross tops but I'd end up with a big loop of cable housing as the cable would go into the "top" of the brake body. I think this would look weird...Are there any "reverse" levers that have a clamp on fitting?
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I don't understand the problem here, in that of course it can be done, this is how everyone used to ride timetrial bikes and pursuit bars before Lance(??) started using aero brake levers. One of the latter examples of this is Christophe Moreau who till very recently used sti levers rather than dedicated gear and brake levers.

Have I read your question correctly?
  • lonegringo
    lonegringo Posts: 26
    Just to say, this worked a treat and the bike looks great. Anyone else who wants to do this feel free to ask any q's
  • Just in case anyone was interested in seeing the finished model - the cables couldn't be routed anywhere other than straight out from behind the brake levers but they really don't get in the way. I had to file down the inside of the bars to get the shifters to fit but that was the only challenge. Now using them for about a year with no problems and much more control in traffic (down gearing and braking at the same time).
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I saw a bike with exactly the same break shifter combo this morning, and thought it looked a good solution for a slightly more upright postion on the bike. Looked like they'd cut some regular drop handlebars and flipped them over. With leather tape and an elegant quill stem it looked good too.
  • It's definitely more comfortable for commuting I find. It's also very good in traffic as your head position provide for better visibility and your not constantly changing position from the brake to the gear shifter (as was the case with the bar-ends on drop bars) and back again.

Only one problem I have found is that the shifters are now more exposed to damage if the bike were to fall over. 70 quid for a new pair of 9spd ones as I have found out this week after my hook came off the wall and snapped the rear shifter clean off :(