Book or info on building racing bike

ascurrell
ascurrell Posts: 1,739
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Does anyone know if there is a book on building a racing bike from scratch. Building and setting up.
There are a lot on servicing and making adjustments etc

I have a friend who is keen to build one himself with little help from others

Personally I like sourcing the various parts, components etc, How often do shop bought bikes need parts upgraded etc well according to the reviews.
Any help appreciated

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No books AFAIK but like most people, it's simply a case of hands-on experience and finding out stuff from magazines and the internet. There's so many different products and technologies that a book would probably be out of date before it was published. The best online resources IMO are SheldonBrown and ParkTool.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance just about covers everything.
  • ascurrell
    Thank for input Guys, basically confirmed my thoughts.
    Regarding Zinn and the art book does it cover bike building from scratch or is it just servicing and maintenance like most books. My mate wants to do it on his own from scratch so when maintenance is required later he will know how the bike was put together together with all the setting up. He's only young and it is nice to see this attitude.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Its a maintenance book
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    To a great extent maintenance is the same as building from scratch. Maybe facing bottom brackets is different but installing parts etc is the same if its the first or 100th time.Do you even face BB shells nowadays?
    If you are after info on selecting parts no book is going to help as its personal and dependent on which brand you like and can afford.
    Choosing parts is a cahse of buying what you want. Read mag and web reviews to help there.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    I'd suggest starting by finding a frame you (or your friend) really, really like. And of course is the right size. That's the key.

A major decision is Compag or Shimano/Sram. Then the components work out broadly based on what you need/want/are prepared to pay for. A less major decision is whether to go for handbuilt wheels or off-the-shelf (I'd go for the former every time).

Putting the thing together is actually fairly easy (although might be wise to have the frame-builder or LBS fit the headset).

Some basic tools, Zinn, youtube, a workshop stand, copious mugs of tea, a radio, patience and an understanding other half should see you through.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    (although might be wise to have the frame-builder or LBS fit the headset).

For an external headset, maybe you might need a press - but most modern integrated headsets can be fitted by hand. A monkey could do it.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    http://www.magbooks.com/mag-books/road- ... mate-guide

I've used this series before, its pretty good.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Imposter wrote:
    (although might be wise to have the frame-builder or LBS fit the headset).

For an external headset, maybe you might need a press - but most modern integrated headsets can be fitted by hand. A monkey could do it.

True indeed.
  • ascurrell
    Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated,