Axle fitment question

aradoman
aradoman Posts: 66
edited April 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a set of suntour raidon x1 air forks, without checking the size of the dropouts! (fleabay). I got these very cheap and they seem to be in very good conditon ('wow' you say..) but they came with what i think are '15mm dropouts' (measuring diameter of hole), anyway my point is;

on the bike i have 9mm QR hubs. i know there is no way i can use these forks and hubs together, but my question is - if i buy a second hand '15mm' front wheel, what will i need to secure the forks to the hub as the forks never came with any form of skewer, do i just need a '15mm qr axle?', the more i try and read the more confused im becoming (''9mm qr's are actually 5mm'' etc)

i know you may all say just sell forks but to be honest wheels arent that new and its circa 20-30 for a compatable front wheel on ebay.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Depends on your hubs - some can be converted.

The actual axels are rather pricey too - RS ones are about 40 quid.
  • aradoman
    yeah i was looking at the axle prices, do i simply search 15mm QR axle?

hubs are from old carrera vulcan 2009/10 so very much doubt they can be converted :(
  • aradoman
    These forks would take a qloc suntour axle am I right?

Think this may be the solution, the qloc passes througj hub and forks and it looks like something 'pops out' when locked to hold in place? Anyone able to confirm this

sorry for all the n00b questions
  • aradoman
    Hopefully answered all my own questions.

ordered a 15mm qloc after watching youtube vid on operation,

Also picked up a 15mm thru axle front wheel for 22 quid

hopefully this will all match up!