A complete beginner - Where to start?

thebda12
thebda12 Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm completely new to this sort of thing and whilst looking through this forum I have been completely flummoxed by all the information and a bit overwhelmed with it. So, I wanted to ask where should I start? At the moment all I do is cycle to work (about 8 miles overall) a few times a week.

I know I probably seem a bit inexperienced and a bit keen but if you could point me in the direction of books, articles or anything like that for beginners it would be much appreciated. Unlike when I have taken up other things in the past I would actually like to work towards something in the right manner.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    thebda12 wrote:
    Hi, I'm completely new to this sort of thing and whilst looking through this forum I have been completely flummoxed by all the information and a bit overwhelmed with it. So, I wanted to ask where should I start? At the moment all I do is cycle to work (about 8 miles overall) a few times a week.

I know I probably seem a bit inexperienced and a bit keen but if you could point me in the direction of books, articles or anything like that for beginners it would be much appreciated. Unlike when I have taken up other things in the past I would actually like to work towards something in the right manner.

You've started.

That's the important bit. Us lot chatting about bikes and technical stuff and words and stuff? Meh.

It's all about the bike.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    However - spend some time here: http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Chunky101
    Chunky101 Posts: 108
    Forget the gadgets and technology. Find some local routes you enjoy riding and get out on the bike, that's the most important part. The rest will slot into place.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Chunky101 wrote:
    Forget the gadgets and technology. Find some local routes you enjoy riding and get out on the bike, that's the most important part. The rest will slot into place.

This is the best advice, if you decide you like it you can get more into it. The Sheldon site is very useful.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    thebda12 wrote:

Hi I might be able to help with ideas about what bike to go for;

http://www.d2ride.co.uk
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I would say you need to think about what your aims and objectives are. Obviously commuting a few times a week has whetted your appetite and it sounds like you would like to take things further. I have been riding for over 25 years and I would say for me the primary motivation is social i.e. I ride with a group of friends (most of whom I dragged into it over the years!).

We train together two or three times a week and enter several events a year both on and off road. Fitness is obviously one of the big drivers as well. I'm not sure if I would cycle as much as I do if I didn't have the support of a group of like-minded friends, maybe I would join a club.

If you have any friends or relatives who might be interested in going out with you will find the shared experience much more enjoyable. Failing that, look in to local cycling clubs in your area. You might find that prospect a bit daunting as a newbie but you should find most of them welcome new blood and will provide you with help and advice and a focal point to your cycling. They also tend to have a wide range of ages and abilities as well, not just skinny, lycra-clad racers. Remember, everyone had to start somewhere.

Failing that just get out and ride. You may start to meet people on the road and if your fitness improves you might want to enter a sportive or two where you will come in to contact with many other cyclists. There are many organised sportives being run nowadays all round the country with varying lengths and difficulty to suit all levels.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    You've started.

This!

Decide what you want to do with cycling. Do you want to go cycle touring? Do you want to go racing? Do you want pleasant Sunday rides with a cafe stop? Do you want to do all that?

From there it is just get out and ride. Based on what you want to do it is just aim for it and do it.

BTW whereabouts are you?

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Good advice from Chunky. That's also a term that could be applied to me!

Listen to your body. If you feel you could have gone further, add 10-15% onto your next ride. If you are finding it hard work, don't.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Where do you live and what sort of bike?

Set some objectives for yourself. That you're going to ride to work every day
    That your going to start doing 30+ mile rides on Sundays.
    Find a local sportive for later in the summer and train to do that. P
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    You've already done the hard part- getting out on the bike and riding!

If you do want to start putting more time in, I'd definitely recommend a decent pair of cycling shorts to prevent getting saddle sores (you can wear them under other clothes if you want to be discrete- I did for the first few months!) I was a proud fool and put off buying a pair in the first place- oops! :oops:

After that joining a local group might encourage you to ride new routes, increase distance etc.
    When I started I bought a local OS map and just went on adventures!

All the other stuff will come with time and experience- for now just enjoy the ride :D