New Rear Hub

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
I've got a DT Swiss XR4.2 rim, quite a few years old, that I want to have a new hub built into after my previous hub disintegrated and will cost £200+ to repair (its a DT Swiss hub). It's for a rear wheel, 9 speed cassette, mainly for XC, trails etc. No big jumps and nothing race-spec needed. The front hub is a Hope (pro2 possibly, about 5 years old) built onto a matching rim. I was thinking of buying a new Hope Pro2 rear hub to match but when I spoke to the LBS they suggested a shimano hub would be better.

Can anyone give me a decent opinion of Hope and any other decent rear hubs as I've been away from MTB's for the last few years so don't know if there have been any major developments etc.

Thanks all.
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You'll get a very "marmite" view of Hope on here.

I really like mine, have found it utterly reliable despite my enormous size (98kg) bouncing up and down on it and not exactly being overly attentive to servicing etc. So I'd say go for it.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I realise they are not to everyone's taste, my opinion was always that UK manufacture was something we need to keep going, so even though they may be a bit 'noisy' it was worth it!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    always been happy with my Hopes
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    DT Swiss 350 are very good, reasonable value, reliable and less agricultural than Hope.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano are perfectly good, a little heavy and are cup and cone not 'one piece' bearing which has it's advantages and disadvantages.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I've run pro 2's front and rear for the last 4yrs, the front hub eats bearings but the rear has been really good, just over 2k mi on it and its had two bearing set changes and one set of springs (for the pawls). It's a very easy hub to work on, can be stripped, serviced and rebuilt in 20min. Possibly the best thing about Hope is the after sales service, they are easy to get hold of and everyone I've spoken to there has been knowledgeable.... Try getting hold of shimano, dt Swiss or others for the same.