A little advice for a Newbie

DRobins
DRobins Posts: 10
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
I've been browsing the forums for a while, but never posted anything before so here goes. About 18months ago I purchased a Btwin Triban 3 which I've been happy with, I rode it a little last summer (not as much as I should have) and since the end of Jan this year through a combination of getting out on the bike, using a stationary bike at home, and changing my eating habits I've managed to loose 2 stone. I've still got a way to go but now I'm starting to build my fitness up a bit I'm really enjoying getting out on the bike.

The only problem I'm finding is the Triban feels too big. I feel that I'm constantly stretching for the hoods, to try and remedy this I purchased a shorter stem (90mm instead of the standard 120mm) but still don't feel that comfortable. The problem I had when buying was I've never had a road bike and therefore had nothing to compare it too so took the decathlon salespersons word as gospel. I purchased the 57frame, I'm 5ft 8ish and have a 30inch inside leg and after doing some research I should have had the 54 frame.

To spur me on and keep the weight coming off I've done a bit of 'man maths' and decided that a new bike would be best!
The advice I'm after from some of you more knowledgeable people is: I fancy a Planet X RT-58 alloy, I think a small frame would be the right choice? I intend to go over to planet X and have a look before I buy, but would like to do a bit of homework before hand
The triban has a triple chainset with 11-25 cassette but the planet X has a Compact with 12-30 cassette. As I live in the peak district there are plenty of hills and with my fitness still being pretty low I'm worried that I'd miss the smaller chainring the triple offers or would the compact still be quite easy to spin?
Also are there any other bikes out there for a similar price that anyone would recommend?

oh and sorry for the essay! but thought a bit of background info would help.

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    34/30 is a ratio of 1.13. Your current triple 30/25 is a ratio of 1.2. So actually the Planet-X has a lower lowest gear than your triple. The thing you may find is you do more gear changing with the compact until your fitness increases (rather than sticking mainly in the middle ring of a triple). Also jumps between gears are bigger with a 12-30 than an 11-25, so finding the right cadence can be more difficult without changing both front and rear.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    DRobins - I started road biking last year and my bike has a compact with an 11-28 cassette - like you, all my riding is in the Peak District, mainly the High Peak and I haven't had much trouble with hills (unless you go seeking out the tougher ones...). In the 9months I've been riding I've not wished I'd got a triple...
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    TBH I think I'd prefer a triple and a tight cassette like 24-39-53 x 12-23 over my current 34-50 x 11-32 similar range, slightly more weight but it'd be less gappy going up through the gears, will probably do it when I go 11 speed.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    FWIW since the Triban 3 is touted as the best beginner's road bike for your money, it sells like hot cakes on eBay. You'll probably not lose a whole lot of money in the change-around.

For a bit more than your Triban 3 this bike stands out to me as great value.
  • DRobins
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think Im going to go over to their showroom tomorrow and have a look. Any of you guys been there before? Are the staff helpful?
  • DRobins
    So I went to Planet X yesterday, I'm really glad I did the guy I spoke to was very helpful and answered all the questions I had. They put a bike a on a turbo for me advised me on frame size and stem length etc.

So I placed my order there and then, an RT-58 Alloy in black and white. Just have to wait 3 weeks for it to be build which will be agonising!

All in all a pleasant experience, in fact the hardest part was sticking to the bike I planned on buying, it took quite a bit of will power not to go for the pro carbon! I suppose in time I will need a 'best' bike though, N+1 !?