Double Conversion problems

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I upgraded my stock group set which was a triple 9-speed to a double 9-speed but have kept the front shifter. I am led to believe I can configure the front to only move the two clicks, but for the life of me I cannot stop the either the chain from falling off over the pedals or getting squashed in the derailleur when I change up.
Any tips or guidance how to make it work with the triple shifter?

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Use a double compatible front mech it has a shorter cage that won't foul on the inner when shifting to the outer. Set it (with the limit screws) so you're using the outer and middle shift positions on the lever - then if you accidentally shift to the "inner" ring nothing will happen except you losing cable tension
  • aidso
    So the shifter is OK, its the mech is too wide?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If I read it right - you're using a triple shifter and triple mech on a double crank?

If so you need to set it so the middle shift is on the inner ring and sort the limit screw so it cannot move in any further then the upper shift to move the chain onto the outer ring with the other limit screw set correctly.
    If you can do that then the lower shift will slacken the cable but the mech won't move in any further and the middle/upper shift should work on the inner/outer rings correctly - that assumes the triple and double rings are set the same distance apart.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    aidso wrote:
    So the shifter is OK, its the mech is too wide?

Not too wide, but too deep if you see what I mean.
  • aidso
    Happy days guys, seems to have done the trick. Gear-change down is a bit stiff, but its changing nonetheless :)