Transition from MTB to Road Bike

Darlophil
Darlophil Posts: 16
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Having had mountain bikes all my riding life I've reached a decision that I want to have a try at riding a road bike.

My initial worries are that the skinny tyres will make the ride more 'skittish' and less stable that the wider tyre of a MTB, and that changing hand position on the handlebars while leaning forward will make a fall more likely (especially if I need to quickly change hand position to brake suddenly).

I know there will be plenty of you that will think 'ah just shut up and ride you pleb' but I'm interested to hear about anyone else who has only been used to MTB then gone to a road bike and how you adapted to it.

Also, where are good places to look (north east) for decent second hand bikes as an introduction. I've had quick looks at ebay but when you select to search by distance it becomes a bit of a lottery for bikes below the £300 mark.

Thanks

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    I did this a year ago and you're right about feeling skittish, I cornered like a girl on a pink shopping bike the first few times out. You'll get used to it though.

Braking isn't hard, sit on the hoods and you can still reach the levers quite comfortably and being in the drops isn't as scary as you think. I do get a bit of wobble if I'm speeding and changing from drop to the tops but nothing major.

Just trust that tiny contact patch, and as a much better bike handler than a true roadie us MTBers can adapt pretty quickly.

Oh, and watch out for grids and white road markings in the wet :wink:
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi Darlophil,
    I'm an ex MTB and I know of lots of other ex MTBs who have moved to road.
    To be honest, road bikes handle diffierently to MTBs, skittish is a good word. But its not necessarily the bikes that are skittish, its just what we are used to. After the first ride you very quickly adapt. My very first ride on a road bike I initially felt like Bambi, but you quickly get used to it.
    The changing of the hand position, you may initially ride more with your hands on the bars than most roadies, I did, I then moved to a nice comfy (and fairly aero) position with my hands/forearms on the hoods. It just takes a bit of time/practice to find a position you're happy with. I only use the drops for a small % of the ride.
  • stealf
    stealf Posts: 49
    I went to the fast side two years ago. A great decision. The hand thing will just come and as Homer's Double says - us mtb'ers better handling skills mean that you'll soon master it.
    You may find lower back pain as I did after longer rides (30mile+) - learn to stretch out and perhaps take up a bit of yoga to strengthen it, then you'll be good for 50 and 60 milers.
    Above all - enjoy it - the speed is thrilling, 50kph+ is a blast - just remember to wear glasses and close your mouth in summer!!!
    A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness.
    James E. Starrs

Current Bikes
    1999 Trek 6000 still looking mint
    2007Spesh StumpJumper FSR Elite
    2012 Sabbath September - Ooohhhh is that Titanium?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Coming from MTB to road biking last year it just takes a while to adjust the bike setup and get used to the different handling. To begin with I couldn't change hand position or stand up without becoming unstable on the road bike. Now I can stand up perfectly in control powering up hills if needed. Just be careful coming from disc brakes to rim brakes especially in the wet.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    For a second hand bikes in the North East look at Low Fell Cycles: Genesis Day one: £350
    http://www.lowfellcycles.com/second-hand-bikes.php

Also on a more modern bike there's no reason not to run disc brakes on a road bike (unless you race in UCI events).

You get used to changing hand position, can you ride with no hands on the flat?

Why would you lean forwards? To transfer weight to the front wheel when braking on a descent, not a time you are likely to be shifting your hands.

TBH I find a few days riding in the mud every now and then keeps my road bike handling up to scratch especially on descents where 50mph+ is easily possible.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Deleted
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    At low speeds or when track standing the front wheel and leading foot can touch and also on steep climbs when right forward and turning the bars get close to your knees. As others habe said the brakes are rubbish in the wet and the tyres lock up a lot easier.
  • funkyg
    funkyg Posts: 68
    I've recently made the switch from mtb, and my biggest thing at the moment is lower stability due to the narrow bars. I don't feel steady enough to stand when pushing on yet but I'm sure it'll come. After all I've only been on the road bike once so far! A nice 20 miler to start with.
    I did like the speed though, saw a couple of new pb's on Strava and slightly increased my average speed. I hadn't been on any bike for a month due to one thing or another.
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL
  • kajjal
    You will soon get used to the stability of a road bike, it is just not the same as the jump on and ride anywhere of a MTB.
  • nuggiebok
    nuggiebok Posts: 63
    I've had a road bike for a few months ow and love it! I had only ridden a mtb before for getting me from a to b. stability is a lot different due to the bars being narrower but you will get used to it after a few rides. Once you do, you will wonder why you never did it before. I'll just add that riding in the wind takes a bit of care too, especially side winds. These roadies are so light that they react to everything.

I'm still no good on descents, haven't got the guts unless I can see the road and road surface ahead.
  • BLW
    BLW Posts: 96
    I've recently done the same, just bought a roady, all be it I still very much enjoy getting out on my MTB, I think there's advantages to riding both on the road (well for me anyway).

I've only been out on my RB once (only had it a week) but I took it out for good hour and half last Sunday, I figured the only way to get grips with a new bike is get out there and have a nice long (well it's not far I know but nor is it 5 miles down the road either) so a nice steady ride on some quiet lanes/roads did the trick.

No aches or pains the next day, in fact my errr hmm (lets say the female anatomy down there) :oops: was less ‘delicate’ than when I've been out thrashing the MTB (on longer rides) so all in all I was pleasantly surprised and I don’t have any padded shorts either, maybe I just have enough of my own!

I did notice a little aching just at the bottom of my thump about 15 mins in to my ride (the chicken drum stick part as I call it! lol ) but it did actually wear off after about 15 10 minutes, I guess I expected that really as it’s all about getting used to the different position and finding out what adjustments you need to do.

I’m sure you will enjoy both but yes it was a bit weird at first, you notice how knackered the roads are as you can feel every single unevenness,rut etc in the tarmac and you do find yourself being a lot more careful and looking for pot holes etc, oh and a few gear crunching, getting used to the different gear leavers was a bit daunting :mrgreen: but if I can mange it, anyone else certainly can. :mrgreen:
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    I've been a seasoned mtb until 2012 when I got my first road bike and I say , there is a bit of a learning curve esp the gearing but after a few weeks , It'll seem as natural as your past ride thumb shifters on a roadie are usually similar to a mtb with the only difference is that they are vertically mounted as opposed to horizontal .
    I kind of treat my Pinnacle dolomite as a very fast hybrid with no suss since most of its parts are pretty bombproof (I've had 2 high speed crashes on it and it still has survived unscathed) and its riding geometry is a sportive meaning that its far more comfortable than a hard core racer like a roubaix .
    Some MTB style tactics can help as well such as bunny hopping which helps avoid the nasty potholes from buckling the wheels since you have no front suspension and a good gel saddle and carbon seatpost would also contribute to reduced reproductive organ ache that a rear shock normally gives.
    Right now I'm in the process of buying my 2nd road bike and I'm hovering between a Fuji Sportiv and a HOY Sa Calobra.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I usually try road but did a few miles mountain biking last week.

First thing is you change your position on a road bike. More stretched out on the drops when going down hill but a more upright position when climbing. I found it frustrating descending on a MTB and I couldn't get low to get out of the wind.
    Also I find the straight ahead position of riding on the hoods more natural than the wide bars of MTB.

I'm not sure skittish is right tbh. Although it depends on the road bike concerned. I have a Scott CR1 and in comparison to a MTB on gravel that feels completely planted and stable.
  • kajjal
    On a mountain bike on descents to get low out of the wind you have to hang off the back of the bike rather than tuck in and dropping the saddle a little helps to on really rough / steep descents.

Road biking has helped my mountain biking with strength and fitness as well as having a better control over the balance between pushing hard and pushing too hard and blowing up.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I found it frustrating descending on a MTB and I couldn't get low to get out of the wind.

Get your ass behind the seat and bend your elbows to bring your shoulders down.
  • I went from MTB to road & have to say I hated it!! I gave it more than enough time for the "breaking in" period but it didn't get any better. I know this goes against the forum norm and I'll probably get slated as per usual but I hated the narrow bars- lack of leverage, hated the position, found that in reality the drops made very little difference in fact they were more of a hindrance. I was never any faster on the road bike by average over a number of miles then the slick-shod MTB. The MTB was more comfortable, easier up hills (wider bars with bar end, more leverage when stood up), actually rolled better on the flat & was just a lot more pleasurable & more comfortable experience! :)
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    No reason why you should get slated. It's your preference.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I went from MTB to road & have to say I hated it!! I gave it more than enough time for the "breaking in" period but it didn't get any better. I know this goes against the forum norm and I'll probably get slated as per usual but I hated the narrow bars- lack of leverage, hated the position, found that in reality the drops made very little difference in fact they were more of a hindrance. I was never any faster on the road bike by average over a number of miles then the slick-shod MTB. The MTB was more comfortable, easier up hills (wider bars with bar end, more leverage when stood up), actually rolled better on the flat & was just a lot more pleasurable & more comfortable experience! :)

Much like me, I also hate riding on the hoods, which is where you are suppposed to spend most of your time, the rubbish brakes and narrow bars. Thats why I ride a Boardman Hybrid Team on 28mm tyres. The lower pressure allowed by wider tyres helps with the ride, as do the carbon forks. The flat bars mean I can sit and feel comfortable and the brakes are where I want them and are much more powerful. Bar ends mean I have a choice of hand positions on long rides.