On Line Ordering.......Rutland Cycles

jasondxb
jasondxb Posts: 59
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
If you purchased something on line, and the price you paid included shipping

Would you be a bit miffed , if after 10 days of ordering/paying you email the company to be told, sorry we have not sent you your goods as the shipping cost on our website was wrong

After several emails back and forth I had 2 choices, pay the additional shipping or get a full refund

I might be wrong but if you advertise a price/shipping on your website then surely you should stick to it

Needless to say I have ordered from somewhere else and shall never purchase anything from them again

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    yup, rutland cycling web site, not good, never has been imo.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    jasondxb wrote:

I might be wrong but if you advertise a price/shipping on your website then surely you should stick to it

I think you probably are, as every website will have, somewhere (and not necessarily very obviously) the statement "E&OE" - "Errors and Omissions Excepted".

Mistakes happen, and they were up-front and told you they'd made a mistake, and gave you the choice. I'm guessing the shipping costs must have been significant for them to contact you about it, or perhaps it's their internal rules that they don't cover the costs of their mistakes. Frustrating for you obviously, and they'll have lost a customer.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I've only ever ordered one thing from Rutland Cycles, but everything was fine. To be honest, I'm getting a bit sick and tired of people taking to their keyboards and bleating on about how they've been hard done by by poor customer service and giving sellers a bad name, when your order may have been one in a hundred which was screwed up. Nobody is perfect and mistakes will happen.

Ok, they should have at least called you to explain their mistake, but it just annoys me that people are all too quick to complain, but seldom ever post about positive buying experiences.
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    So you're saying it's ok for them to take his money, keep it 10 days and it's only when he contacts them that they explain the situation. What would have happened if he had made no contact?? I'm sorry but I think the OP has every right to be aggrieved.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I did agree that Rutland Cycles were in the wrong.

What I don't agree with is that too many people these days are all too quick to slag off vendors and then ejaculate their frustrations all over the internet, but hardly ever give positive stories of good customer service when such instances are probably far more common. It's like they're getting some kind of petty revenge for their inconvenience, which is pretty childish in my opinion.

Forums posts are seen by hundreds, if not thousands of other people. Then those people speak to other people and so on. Branding a vendor as crap all over the internet can be pretty damaging for their reputation, but the transaction in question may have been a total one off. Nobody is 100% perfect and people make mistakes or they forget things. We've all done it at some point and will do so many, many times in the future. I don't think it's very fair and people need to get a grip of understanding the potential issues their posts may case.
  • jasondxb
    jasondxb Posts: 59
    Dkay

The idea of forums is to share knowledge and experiences.

A company keeping your money for 10 days without contacting you is wrong in my opinion, alright in this case it was only 60gbp, what if it had been a 1500gbp bike

Yes I agree that all companies make mistakes but its how they handle it when its bought to their attention

I personally use the internet for what's it worth, if I am going to purchase anything online I will always look at other peoples reviews, most I will take with a pinch of salt. If there is a common theme I will make my own mind up if I want to purchase or not

As far as I am concerned if someone ask's a question and I have some personal experience then I will give them an honest answer good or bad

In my limited time as a cyclist I have figured out you are far better paying slightly more and buying from your LBS, at least they seem to understand what customer services is all about, or at least a couple of them do over here
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    DKay wrote:
    I've only ever ordered one thing from Rutland Cycles, but everything was fine. To be honest, I'm getting a bit sick and tired of people taking to their keyboards and bleating on about how they've been hard done by by poor customer service and giving sellers a bad name, when your order may have been one in a hundred which was screwed up. Nobody is perfect and mistakes will happen.

Ok, they should have at least called you to explain their mistake, but it just annoys me that people are all too quick to complain, but seldom ever post about positive buying experiences.

I agree . Everyone makes mistakes. I used to tell that to every one I employed. Everyone screws up from time to time but when you do you should admit it as soon as you find out and do everything you can to put it right. At times that will cost the company but you will have a happy customer. That did not happen to the OP.
    I have had no problem with Rutland. They have got it wrong here , they have compounded things by not fixing it quickly and some bad publicity is fully justified.
  • Shame about this instance as the shops themselves are my favourite bike shops in the country!
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530