Fuji Sportif 1.5 is this a good 2nd road bike?

Prowlus
Prowlus Posts: 539
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi there . I don't really post here because i'm a mtb rider first and roadie second but I've decided to get my 2nd road bike having good experience on a pinnacle dolomite and now the dolomite is worn out , I want to replace it with something better

Was looking at this fuji here
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... 67#answers

Reason I like it is because , it has disc brakes which is similar to my mtb setup albeit mechanical and holding a xl sized frame seems pretty light (i'm going for a medium) . I'm also thinking of turning it into a cyclocross bike further down the line because of its disc brakes .
Would this be a good 2nd bike after a dolomite?

Comments

• Ibis2k14
    Ibis2k14 Posts: 25
    I've tried the model with Tiagra, different components but same geometry.
    It's a very comfortable bike if you're looking for a relaxed riding position.
    The only issue with Fuji is that in order to keep the price low they cut corners on the bits and pieces (stem, bb, handlebars etc) using their own branded stuff (Oval / Vera). Their stuff is not bad at all, but the bike can easily become MUCH lighter with a few upgrades. My Gran Fondo (same geometry as the Sportif, but full carbon) is around 8.7kg, would go below 8kg by simply swapping wheels, saddle and seatpost (the standard wheels are the biggest problem, tough and durable, still true after over 1000kms but really heavy).
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If you afford a bit more then go for a Whyte Suffolk. Otherwise you could get a Boardman cross bike from Halfords. Both have discs & looks good value with good value specs - the Whyte has hydraulic braking. The Fuji looks fine - comfort orientated.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710.

Regarding the boardman bike, is this the one your thinking passout? It looks well specced albeit a little more pricier than the fuji but it seems to have more proven off-shelf components than fuji's in house .
    Is it true its lower specced sibling has picked up a few awards with a few websites?
    The whyte seems tempting too . I know hydros on a mtb won't start making a screeching noise after a few miles through dirt contamination unlike the mechs i'm thinking of but are there now affordable after market hydro upgrades for racers yet now the technology is there?
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes, that's the one - nice bike. Although personally I think the Whyte is great value when you look at the spec too. Cannondale cross disc comes in around the same price - that's an option. Kinesis Pro 6 seems popular too. Might also be worth looking at Revolution cross bikes at the Edinburgh Coop for a cheaper option.

The technology is moving fast, I agree. Could have a cheap spec on a future proof frame & upgrade later maybe? Not necessarily a cheap course of action though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Ibis2k14 wrote:
    I've tried the model with Tiagra, different components but same geometry.
    It's a very comfortable bike if you're looking for a relaxed riding position.
    The only issue with Fuji is that in order to keep the price low they cut corners on the bits and pieces (stem, bb, handlebars etc) using their own branded stuff (Oval / Vera). Their stuff is not bad at all, but the bike can easily become MUCH lighter with a few upgrades. My Gran Fondo (same geometry as the Sportif, but full carbon) is around 8.7kg, would go below 8kg by simply swapping wheels, saddle and seatpost (the standard wheels are the biggest problem, tough and durable, still true after over 1000kms but really heavy).
    That's a bit of a list to change and serious money. Unless you get the whole bike for a silly price, if that much is going to be changed, you'd be as well to build a frame from scratch. Also, if the stem and bars needed changed to fit the rider, that's more money needing found. By careful shopping for around the same money, by buying complete groupsets and individual components, I think you can often get the bike you want and which fits from the outset. Not one which is full of compromises because the OEM must keep within a certain market segment.