Avoid frames that use BB30 bottom bracket ?

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Ive got savings to spend on a new bike and im particularly fond of cannondale . I see they say they spec their "better" bikes with the bb30 bottom bracket. Now I already own a 2013 Caad 8 which I upgraded all the groupset to 5700 105 . The bottom bracket is the hollowtech II type which has been bombproof so far , CRC were selling this type of bottom bracket for £9.99 delivered and of course I snapped a few up as ease of replacement plus total dependability is a winning combination for me. After reading up on the bb30 ive read some absolutely appalling comments about them and suggestions that they are plagued with noise, with owners saying they wish they had never bought a bb30 bike and buyers should steer well clear of them. What are the opinions here about the bb30 ? like I said there is a fair bit of negativity towards it if you look them up on google.

I like the look of the new 2014 Synapse and wonder should I steer well clear of the models that use bb30 as there is plenty of material that can be read saying that the adapters to run them at 68mm are pretty poor also.
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Praxis works and rotor both have good adaptors, I believe.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • I love my 2 Cannondales both have BB30.

My Supersix has well over 10,000 miles on original bearings. Yes they have been re greased a few time but it only takes 5 mins.

My SuperX Cx bike has had the bearings changed after 4000 miles due to play, but this has seen a lot of wet muddy rides, cost less than £25 for the bearings.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    There's nothing wrong with BB30 that simple regular maintenance won't cure in the vast majority of cases. I've found it no harder to live with than external BBs, and if anything easier to maintain.

Googling anything like this will always find plenty of complaints. Satisified customers rarely take to the innertubes to tell how happy they are. Those with issues are obviously more motivated. That kind of Signal/Noise ratio needs to be considered.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    BB30, in theory, is good. In practice, manufacturing tolerances can render it a pile of poo.

The non-drive side cartridge on my CAAD10 could be removed and installed by hand alone and with no undue pressure, the drive side needed to be pressed and removed using a tool. Needless to say I went through three sets of cartridges within 400 dry miles. The constant clicking, which no amount of grease or Loctite would remedy, was like torture. Others I know with CAAD10's and CAADX's have never had an issue.

I budgeted to convert it to a Shimano 68mm BSA BB before buying. Been using the FSA adapter sleeve for 10 months or so now, no problems whatsoever.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    I budgeted to convert it to a Shimano 68mm BSA BB before buying. Been using the FSA adapter sleeve for 10 months or so now, no problems whatsoever.[/quote]

Hi Jordan, I have a CAAD10 with no issues from 750 dry and wet miles, however interested in what is needed and the cost to adapt as you have above. thanks
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    jordan_217 wrote:
    I budgeted to convert it to a Shimano 68mm BSA BB before buying. Been using the FSA adapter sleeve for 10 months or so now, no problems whatsoever.

tom3 wrote:
    Hi Jordan, I have a CAAD10 with no issues from 750 dry and wet miles, however interested in what is needed and the cost to adapt as you have above. thanks

I bought this from Ribble:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

IIRC, the FSA one is also rebranded as Cannondale and sold for slightly more £'s but someone may be able to confirm that (?). If that's the case then Cannondale are obviously happy enough with the solution.

They're supposed to come with the suitable retaining compound, Loctite 609 but after speaking with the FSA rep there's a shortage of the sachet type tubes that are meant to be supplied. I got mine from eBay in the end but could only get a 50ml bottle. It was £13.

You then just need to select a BB and chainset.

To ensure it was installed correctly I asked my LBS to fit the sleeve as they have a press to ensure accurate installation. Cost me £15 and turnaround was 48 hrs as they wanted the Loctite to cure properly in the workshop.

The FSA SL-K Light chainset was then surplus to requirement so I sold it on here and made back the money it cost me to do the conversion and parts required. Though it was in very good condition and I noticed someone asking for one in the 'Wanted' section of the classifieds.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    From what I have read the tolerances are very precise for BB30. This might be achievable with metallic frames that can be CNCed but unlikely with carbon unless a metallic sleeve is inserted.

What's all this 'regular maintenance' that people are posting about? I have never done any maintenance on a Shimano Hollotech BB in thousands of miles.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    earth wrote:

What's all this 'regular maintenance' that people are posting about? I have never done any maintenance on a Shimano Hollotech BB in thousands of miles.

I was thinking that - BB are fit & forget until they need replacing in my experience. Makes me think that BB30 isn't such a great idea.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    To be fair I have used mine for over 3000 miles and used it in the rain, etc and haven't serviced it once.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra