Which backpack

brandfreak
brandfreak Posts: 137
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I have used a North Face "Flight" series backpack for about 5 years now, never had a problem with it. Build quality is great, a 3l reservoir gives options from a short to all day rides, magnetic bite valve for ease of use. "Why do you want to change it?" I hear you say. Well it's not MTB/cycle specific and packs have improved alot in recent years. I find my back gets hot and sweaty even in cooler weather (bought my wife a Camelbak LUXE and her back is dry) and I would like better organised storage.

I have trawled the web (like you do) and come up with 2 options:-
Osprey Raptor 14
Camelbak Volt 13 LR

What would you guys recommend, any one use these packs. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Evoc FR Enduro - removable back protector, space for bladder, plenty of pockets and supremely comfortable.
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    I have the Osprey Raven 10 after switching from Camelbak mile and HAWG.
    I have to say it is a blooming fantastic bag, with great compartments (love the separate tool pouch)
    I use it for road and MTB. The bag has had a hard life but it has remained intact and stood up to everything
    i have done to it.
    Raven is the women's version and it fits my back without knocking my helmet. Test the bags on your
    back with a helmet on if you go instore to purchase.
  • In the same situation, i bought an Osprey Raptor 14.

Nice bladder. no QR pipes to leak. Solid build. easy to open fill hole (seals dont dry and hold the cap solid like my last camelbak)

Back is very comfy, and breathes well.

Well built... although i did snap 2 buckles in a big crash :(

good amount and location of pockets. dedicated little tool flap/pocket/roll thingy at the bottom makes getting as tools and tubes easy!

my mate has the EVOC Freeride. seriously built bag. everything is chunky!
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Personally I'd go for the Osprey pack

I've had a Camelbak for 2 years now and it's still going strong but when it eventually dies I'll get an Osprey pack instead because they seem much more thought out with clever pockets and zips

On this topic, Osprey viper 13 vs raptor 14?
    Is the raptor worth the extra £20? I know it has the tool pouch but that's not something I'd pay extra for, that goes for the mesh pouch for jackets as well

Only other different seems to be the pouches on the waist straps and perhaps a bit more padding?