V-Brake Upgrades?

mtbjunkie08
mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm considering upgrading my stock Tektro V-brakes, they work ok but on very steep descents I tend to have to pull both levers on fully and even then they dont inspire confidence. I dont think I want to upgrade to disc brakes because I will also have to upgrade my wheels to disc compatible ones.

I thought I may try just replacing the pads first with Kool Stop mountain Pads to see if that improves them, if not then I think I will upgrade to some higher quality V-brakes such as the Avid SD 7's.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Better quality Vs doesn't mean more power - the length and therefore their leverage is the same - the actual hand levers can help as they can have better cams in.

Some Koolstop pads is the way to go first.
  • mtbjunkie08
    mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
    Better quality Vs doesn't mean more power - the length and therefore their leverage is the same - the actual hand levers can help as they can have better cams in.

Thanks for the advice, looks like i'll be trying out new pads first then.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

Better quality are much better though. Take a set of Avids or XTs compared to some pressed tin POS and I guarantee you'll notice it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have decent cast alloy arms, the best move is better pads and a clean of the rims to remove any road grime which can seriously affect braking performance, reasonable V's are better than many cheap disc brakes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.