Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Rose Pro SL - 3000 configuration

meastmeast Posts: 19
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm ordering the Rose Pro SL - 3000 this week in white & orange -

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pr ... -k2qB-k2qC

I have £150-£200 left over and was wondering if it's worth upgrading any of the parts? (wheels/seatpost/saddle etc)

Let me know what you think,

Cheers.

Posts

  • curto80curto80 Posts: 314
    Firstly, great choice. Looks great and will ride great.

    From a quick flick it looks like they'll let you sub up the wheels to their own brand Rs1400s for £49. That's a massive bargain, they retail at £450 a pair. And they're very good.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • meastmeast Posts: 19
    curto80 wrote:
    Firstly, great choice. Looks great and will ride great.

    From a quick flick it looks like they'll let you sub up the wheels to their own brand Rs1400s for £49. That's a massive bargain, they retail at £450 a pair. And they're very good.

    Cheers, really looking forward to riding it.

    That does seem like a bargain yeah. The wheels were the main thing I was considering upgrading.

    The other option was to go with the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe, which are £130 extra.
  • curto80curto80 Posts: 314
    Yeah saw that as well. I'd probably upgrade to either of those if I were in your position. You might as well if you've got the cash handy - will save you the hassle of doing it later. Whichever you choose you'll be getting a decent wheelset.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • ai_1ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Yes, a wheel upgrade is probably the most worthwhile unless you wanted to rethink the frame and go with a different spec. Bear in mind that more expensive, lighter wheels may not always be better for all purposes. In particular for heavier riders a lighter wheel may be less reliable. Having said that i'd be tempted to go with a lighter wheel.
    If you change to a wheel that's not a Mavic WTS like the Aksium you'll also need to add tyres so you'll have to allow £50 for the wheels and another £50 for tyres (that's cheap for the tyres this will buy you!)
  • meastmeast Posts: 19
    ai_1 wrote:
    Yes, a wheel upgrade is probably the most worthwhile unless you wanted to rethink the frame and go with a different spec. Bear in mind that more expensive, lighter wheels may not always be better for all purposes. In particular for heavier riders a lighter wheel may be less reliable. Having said that i'd be tempted to go with a lighter wheel.
    If you change to a wheel that's not a Mavic WTS like the Aksium you'll also need to add tyres so you'll have to allow £50 for the wheels and another £50 for tyres (that's cheap for the tyres this will buy you!)

    Yeah I don't need super lightweight wheels as I don't plan on racing, not yet anyway. As far as weight goes, I'm 78kg, 5"11.

    The Rs1400s seem to have great reviews, leaning towards them. Any tyre recommendations? It's more of a sunday best bike for sportives and long riding.
  • ai_1ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited April 2014
    I don't have personal experience with any of the options they give (All Continental and mostly GP4000S in various configurations plus a couple of others). I'd probably go for the GP4000S in 25mm front and back. They're very popular summer tyres for fast riding. Not as durable as say Continental 4 Seasons which I use but should be nice to ride and the best all rounder of those available, I think. Might look good in the yellow side wall if you keep them clean, otherwise get black. I don't see any benefit in 23mm tyres except for a few grams less rubber. They're less comfortable and harder to pump to pressure but no quicker than larger tyres.
  • rickeverettrickeverett Posts: 988
    meast wrote:
    ai_1 wrote:
    Yes, a wheel upgrade is probably the most worthwhile unless you wanted to rethink the frame and go with a different spec. Bear in mind that more expensive, lighter wheels may not always be better for all purposes. In particular for heavier riders a lighter wheel may be less reliable. Having said that i'd be tempted to go with a lighter wheel.
    If you change to a wheel that's not a Mavic WTS like the Aksium you'll also need to add tyres so you'll have to allow £50 for the wheels and another £50 for tyres (that's cheap for the tyres this will buy you!)

    Yeah I don't need super lightweight wheels as I don't plan on racing, not yet anyway. As far as weight goes, I'm 78kg, 5"11.

    The Rs1400s seem to have great reviews, leaning towards them. Any tyre recommendations? It's more of a sunday best bike for sportives and long riding.

    RS1400 + Gonti GP4000 tyres will save you weight and roll nice indeed.

    If your going all glossy on the Handelbars and tube, then a glossy black saddle like the Selle Italia SLR will look nicer. (also lighter saddle)
  • My own personal preference would be to swap the monoling seatpost and saddle for a "normal" rail one (you can still get the same ritchey seatpost just with the regular clamp).

    I farking hated the monolink saddle that came with mine, and getting a replacement was a right PITA! In the end, I ended up swapping the clamp for a regular one, which I had to order from Germany.
  • meastmeast Posts: 19
    Cheers for the help.

    Ordered last night, went for the RS1400 wheels with Conti GP4000 with the yellow band. Also upgraded the seat post and saddle.

    I'm guessing it depends how busy they are as to how long it takes to arrive?
  • rickeverettrickeverett Posts: 988
    meast wrote:
    Cheers for the help.

    Ordered last night, went for the RS1400 wheels with Conti GP4000 with the yellow band. Also upgraded the seat post and saddle.

    I'm guessing it depends how busy they are as to how long it takes to arrive?

    When it does- don't forget the obligatory pics ! . Would be grate to see how it looks.

    Looking at the charts they estimate 5 weeks. Unlike Canyon however Rose seem to be very fast and usually get stuff shipped out quicker.

    It will now be the longest 4-5 Weeks in your life ! :lol:
    Just ordered a pair of bib shorts from Rose on Monday and they arrived this morning via UPS.
  • meastmeast Posts: 19
    The bikes built and is currently ready for shipping, almost 2 weeks earlier than they originally said :)

    I'll get some pics up once it's here. They say 2 weeks for shipping?
  • meastmeast Posts: 19
    Bike arrived yesterday, looks great.

    Only ridden it home from work but it felt light and responsive. I'll get some pics up tomorrow when I take it out properly :lol:
  • prhymeateprhymeate Posts: 792
    Nice to hear another Rose customer getting their bike! I ordered on April 29th and it's constantly been jumping between 1 and 2 weeks until shipment...it even had a tracking code for a couple of days last week. I can't wait much longer! Enjoy the ride
  • nigelgosnigelgos Posts: 128
    Piccys please :)
  • rickeverettrickeverett Posts: 988
    pics ! we need pics!
  • bigmulbigmul Posts: 208
    Defo pics please as I'm considering the same bike with wheel upgrade too!
  • lgcbikinglgcbiking Posts: 34
    How do you upload pics here? Only have a crappy camera phone, but I recently got the pro sl 2000 with the rs1400 wheels and happy to upload a pic in the meantime...
  • bigmulbigmul Posts: 208
    A site like imageshack is probably the easiest unless you use drop box or similar?
  • lgcbikinglgcbiking Posts: 34
    Until meast provides better pictures...

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bumjf6hgiss1 ... 7wameTlNGa

    Combination of poor camera, not enough light, and lets face it, me. It doesn't matter, she's a beauty (I think it looks better in real life than in pictures). Nothing really changed in the config except for the rs1400 wheels with 25mm gp4000 tyres. It's the same as the 3000, but with 105 (everything except the crankset) instead of full ultegra.

    Only been on a couple of long rides, and it's been good, but on the beginner side of things so can't really provide an insightful review..
  • rickeverettrickeverett Posts: 988
    lgcbiking wrote:
    Until meast provides better pictures...

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bumjf6hgiss1 ... 7wameTlNGa

    Combination of poor camera, not enough light, and lets face it, me. It doesn't matter, she's a beauty (I think it looks better in real life than in pictures). Nothing really changed in the config except for the rs1400 wheels with 25mm gp4000 tyres. It's the same as the 3000, but with 105 (everything except the crankset) instead of full ultegra.

    Only been on a couple of long rides, and it's been good, but on the beginner side of things so can't really provide an insightful review..

    looks good. The finish on the frames looks very tidy indeed for Aluminium. Smooth welds.
  • meastmeast Posts: 19
    Pics will be here shortly, just adding an extra bottle cage and few other bits.
  • meastmeast Posts: 19
    DSC_0016_zps3ced458b.jpg

    DSC_0009_zps5166f001.jpg

    DSC_0017_zpsb1892b74.jpg

    DSC_0024_zpsc79b341e.jpg
  • gethincerigethinceri Posts: 1,106
    Lovely, now ride the blollox off it.
  • wotnoshoesehwotnoshoeseh Posts: 505
    Very nice!!
  • meastmeast Posts: 19
    Took it for a quick test Friday night then did 110 miles (Chiltern 100 ride) on Sunday.

    Really can't fault the bike, handles brilliantly and is very comfy.

    Definitely recommend it to anyone who's thinking about it.
Sign In or Register to comment.