Slick 29" tyres

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Anyone run slick tyres on their 29er?

If so, which do you run? ....I've got Mavic Crossrides; would a 25mm road tyre be too narrow?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nope, be ok, road rims are getting wider anyway.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Crossride has an internal width of 19mm I believe, so should be no problem at all. Will fatten the tyre up nicely.

As Njee says, road rims are getting wider. My latest are 23mm (external) wide with an internal width of 18mm, so only 1mm narrower than the Crossrides, and my Conti GP 4s 25mm run beautifully on them.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I use 37mm Vittoria Randonneur Pro II folding tyres on my 29er hardtail, excellent bits of kit - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRANPII ... lding-tyre
  • azi
    azi Posts: 1
    Schwalbe Big Apple on mine.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    25mm would be fine (rule of thumb for road tyres is that the nominal width should exceed the internal rim width) that said I'd probably have 28mm over 25mm, they generally have a lower rolling resistance and and the aero benefit isn't really going to be a big issue on a 29er used on road!

However I do have some 48mm Maxxis Hybrid tyres if you want to try some (plug plug!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.