New wheels: Zonda vs Jetfly vs...?

Ibis2k14
Ibis2k14 Posts: 25
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for a new set of light wheels for my Fuji Gran Fondo!

I'd consider the price limit to be the Campy Zonda , and they're currently my first option.
My lbs sells Novatec stuff as well, and told me that if I'm looking for light wheels the Jetfly are pretty decent and quite a bit cheaper (here in Taiwan there's a difference of almost 80 euros).

Any opinions on those 2 sets of wheels? I know the Zonda are highly regarded but I don't know how they compare to each other.
Also, any suggestion from other companies would be appreciated, but please don't include companies that are UK based because shipping+taxes add a lot of money to the equation and I'd prefer a brand that I can order from any store.

Thanks!

Comments

• holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Well there is a review of the Jetfly wheels on the front page...
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    holiver wrote:
    Well there is a review of the Jetfly wheels on the front page...

Just won a group test FWIIW
  • Ibis2k14
    Yeah, I noticed the review on first page, but I don't know anyone who personally uses them, so everything that I have so far is that they're both supposed to be good wheels at an almost similar price and weight.
    Plenty of feedback on Zondas, not so much about the Jetfly :/

I don't have access to Cycling +, any more detail about that group test would be great!
  • I have a pair of the Zondas, glad i bought them. There buttery smooth, they have a nice sound to them (i like loud hubs ;) ) Had them for about 3-4 months now, probably put around 1500miles on them, absolutely no complaints.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Zondas £256 at Wiggle at the moment.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    I have a pair of the Zondas, glad i bought them. There buttery smooth, they have a nice sound to them (i like loud hubs ;) ) Had them for about 3-4 months now, probably put around 1500miles on them, absolutely no complaints.

Another happy Zonda user here too,as said above lovely and smooth and look fantastic 8) .
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I have a pair of the Zondas, glad i bought them. There buttery smooth, they have a nice sound to them (i like loud hubs ;) ) Had them for about 3-4 months now, probably put around 1500miles on them, absolutely no complaints.

The hub noise completely relates to how much grease there is around the pawls etc. When cleaned and greased they can go from noisy to near silent. I forgot how silent they could get until I serviced mine again a few months back.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    mfin wrote:
    The hub noise completely relates to how much grease there is around the pawls etc.

No it doesn't. Also, too much grease will just gum up the pawls and you end up with a two-way freehub.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    My riding buddy has a set of Zondas and they're not in the slightest bit loud, just a slight ticking similar to my Shimano RS81's. I recently sold a set of Planet X carbon clinchers, now they were loud. Loud as in people walking down the street turn around and look loud!
  • Ibis2k14
    I'm not particularly worried about the noise!
    The wheels will go on the climbing bike, so the lighter the better but my budget limit is in the Zonda/Jetfly range.
    Any possible alternatives from Fulcrum, Easton or Shimano?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    NorvernRob wrote:
    My riding buddy has a set of Zondas and they're not in the slightest bit loud, just a slight ticking similar to my Shimano RS81's. I recently sold a set of Planet X carbon clinchers, now they were loud. Loud as in people walking down the street turn around and look loud!

Silent, new Zondas here. Very nice wheels for climbing although I don't reckon they would be the stiffest for heavier riders maybe. Weighed mine under 1400g which for £260 is pretty impressive.

Strava is not Zen.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DKay wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    The hub noise completely relates to how much grease there is around the pawls etc.

No it doesn't.

Is that so?! You'll have to tell me how then, after I put the thinnest glaze of grease on the ratchet of a pair of Khamsins, they went from noisy to silent. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DKay
    Rolf F wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    mfin wrote:

No it doesn't.

Is that so?! You'll have to tell me how then, after I put the thinnest glaze of grease on the ratchet of a pair of Khamsins, they went from noisy to silent. :wink:

7Fdq3IK.jpg
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    calvjones wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:

Silent, new Zondas here. Very nice wheels for climbing although I don't reckon they would be the stiffest for heavier riders maybe. Weighed mine under 1400g which for £260 is pretty impressive.

You got a good pair if they weigh under 1400gr ! Shamals weigh 1415gr !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    DKay wrote:
    mfin wrote:

No it doesn't. Also, too much grease will just gum up the pawls and you end up with a two-way freehub.

Well, it does. Because I've done it, and it's not too much grease either.
  • DKay
    edited April 2014
    Well it certainly doesn't make much difference at all with my wheels freehub. Ah well.
  • Ibis2k14
    How come that bike radar describes the Jetfly as "under 1500g" when Novatec (in Taiwan) claims they weight around 1650g ?
  • spanner239
    spanner239 Posts: 181
    Ibis2k14 wrote:
    How come that bike radar describes the Jetfly as "under 1500g" when Novatec (in Taiwan) claims they weight around 1650g ?

Novatec US site claims 1,435g maybe the Taiwan site is an older version?