£1200 bike help

themyers
themyers Posts: 69
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi

I have a nice problem to have in that I have around 1200 to spend on a new road bike. However, mainly due to my chronic lack of indecision I am finding it hard to narrow it down.

So far I have considered...

Planet x pro carbon http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT ... -road-bike

Planet x RT57 http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT57UL ... -road-bike

Rose Xeon rs 2000 http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-xe ... -kTLk-kTLl

I quite like the rose as lightweight ALU is sexy, the matt black is sexy and the finishing kit is nice, part of me thinks I should sell a kidney, up the budget and get the rs 3000, but that opens up a new price bracket

All advice welcome

Cheers
By no means am I restricting myself to these.

Comments

• curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    I have the carbon version of that Rose bike and it's fantastic. Only difference is mine came with the RS1400 wheels instead of the mavics. I'd go for that. Personally I wouldn't break your budget just to get Ultegra over 105, you won't notice a difference.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • curto80
    By the way for £100 more you could get Rose carbon...
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • themyers
    Thanks, interesting I didn't even think to look there. Is it the CRS you have? CSL seems to be the cheaper one, i will see if i can find any reviews.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Just for your information the CSL is the same frame as the CRS.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    or Try the new Orro Oxygen ....
  • curto80
    Yes I have the CRS but the CSL is indeed identical frame. You can't go wrong.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • curto80
    Slowbike wrote:

Was tempted to suggest that but not sure about those wheels. They seem a bit nasty.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • slowbike
    Curto80 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Was tempted to suggest that but not sure about those wheels. They seem a bit nasty.

What - the Fulcrum Racing Sports? They're Fulcrum racing 7's ... very similar to the 5's but without bladed spokes or the insert around the nipple. They weigh about the same as the 5's.

I'm impressed with the bike so far (my wife has one) - nicely thought out and put together. I'd be tempted if I didn't already have a carbon bike.
  • curto80
    Ok thanks for the feedback, that's interesting. I don't have any experience of Fulcrum wheels so I was looking around and there was a bit of negativity about them. It's a pretty cheap wheelset, but of course cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad. Which LBS did you use out of interest and were they good?
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • curto80
    For the benefit of the OP;

www.orrobikes.com
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • slowbike
    They're mostly selling them via LBS's rather than big chains or online retailers so it'll be a case of where your nearest is.
    http://www.orrobikes.com/dealers.php

I have no problem with Fulcrum Wheelsets - yes the 7's are "cheap" - but it depends what you're doing with the bike - there's nothing wrong with them - if you're out doing club runs or leisure rides then 7's/sports are absolutely fine, there'll be more improvement you can make with the engine before the wheelset is holding you back.
  • themyers
    Thanks for the further advice - I had not ever seen the Orro before. I used to have racing 7 as training wheels, they were pretty good actually.

I have a set of Ksyserium SL that I can throw on the Oxygen to make it lighter

Interesting - I may give them a mail too:)
  • curto80
    Slowbike wrote:
    Curto80 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

What - the Fulcrum Racing Sports? They're Fulcrum racing 7's ... very similar to the 5's but without bladed spokes or the insert around the nipple. They weigh about the same as the 5's.

I'm impressed with the bike so far (my wife has one) - nicely thought out and put together. I'd be tempted if I didn't already have a carbon bike.

I meant to ask, how did your wife manage to get riding on one so quick?!
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen